• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of Child in possession of firearm.

At 5-6 years old I had a BB gun (Daisy Buck) and would accompany my father and older brother on hunting trips. Generally bird hunting. If a bird fell injured (particularly in the sugar cane), it was my job to go 'hunt' it down and dispatch it. I understood, even at that age, that gun had the potential to do harm, and I saw it first hand as I put finishing shots on birds. I certainly would have known the difference from a gun that was not 'real'. The added bonus besides learning respect of guns at an early age, I STILL have that BB gun and it still functions as it did back then. Like me, it looks a touch worse for the wear though. No, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

A blank inside of a barrel that is welded up and not a GAS OPERATED firearm will likely EXPLODE. Just FYI. An m4 that has a blank adapter, cycles the action with the gas pressure that is relieved through the gas system. What kind of rifle are you turning into a blank only? A bolt action or lever action with go BOOM and not in a good way.

A blank inside of a barrel that is welded up and not a GAS OPERATED firearm will likely EXPLODE. Just FYI. An m4 that has a blank adapter, cycles the action with the gas pressure that is relieved through the gas system. What kind of rifle are you turning into a blank only? A bolt action or lever action with go BOOM and not in a good way.
I think what he has is a pipe bomb with a stock.

It is a no name 30/30 lever action. Most likely from spain. It is heavier than my marlin .22. Not all steel but real wood. Even an average Joe might take it for a genuine rifle. My boy will be six in May when he recieves it.
Was it originally designed ass 30/30 level action? In which case it is still an actual firearm. But it’s been converted or decommissioned. To my knowledge the only specific law on the Georgia law books covers hunting or while being unaccompanied. Since it’s neither what you have is not an issue till he goes to school and tells his liberal hippy tree hugging save the children teacher who in turn call DFACS which is without a doubt the laziest most worthless state agency, which says A LOT. Then they won’t let things like right and wrong or laws stand in the way of doing what they want. Have fun

Since this thread is in the Law & Order section,
let's consider the law.

1-- The feds would probably still consider this firearm to be a "firearm" even if the barrel is welded shut so it won't take a cartridge.
maybe, but as you point out, it doesn't matter what the feds think in this instance.

3-- But although the statutory law passed by the legislature doesn't have any lower age limit for kids possessing a working rifle or shotgun, obviously there is some lower limit! If you give a kid younger than that age, and that level of maturity, and responsibility, a gun, you could be considered to have done a crime or a reckless act towards that child.
Maybe call it reckless conduct ?
It has to expel a projectile to be a firearm under GA law. Welded barrel will not expel a projectile, so it's not a firearm.

Federal law prevents states from prohibiting the sale of traditional BB or pellet guns, but explicitly allows states to prohibit the sale of these weapons to minors.9 Courts have interpreted these provisions to allow states to impose other regulations on the sale of traditional BB or pellet guns so long as the regulations fall short of prohibitions on sale.10

Unlawful discharge laws typically punish the unlawful firing of a firearm, such as a pistol or shotgun, but they may also apply to other weapons such as crossbows, blowguns, blank firing guns and BB or pellet guns. Unlawful discharge laws prohibit firing any weapon in certain areas or under specific circumstances, such as firing from a moving vehicle, firing across a state highway, firing into or at an occupied building, at a person(s) or wildlife.

^^ That being said, I suggest finding out the local ordinances for your city and anywhere you plan on letting him take it. According to the ever awesome laws, even firing a blank in certain manners or areas can be illegal, simply because people still die from blanks and pellets. Also ask how old a child has to be to possess it. I am pretty sure that since it still fires projectiles to a degree, the possessor must be 18 (some places allow ages 12+).

@GAgunLAWbooklet correct me if i'm wrong.

maybe, but as you point out, it doesn't matter what the feds think in this instance.

It has to expel a projectile to be a firearm under GA law. Welded barrel will not expel a projectile, so it's not a firearm.

A blank firing guns expel projectiles. Also, even if a firearm is decommissioned and the barrel welded shut, it's still a firearm. Only toy guns that were never designed to fire a projectile (including pellets, BBs, or blanks) are not considered firearms.

Also ask how old a child has to be to possess it. I am pretty sure that since it still fires projectiles to a degree, the possessor must be 18 (some places allow ages 12+).

@GAgunLAWbooklet correct me if i'm wrong.

There is no minimum age in GA for posessing a long gun that functions, let alone one that does not.

A blank firing guns expel projectiles. Also, even if a firearm is decommissioned and the barrel welded shut, it's still a firearm. Only toy guns that were never designed to fire a projectile (including pellets, BBs, or blanks) are not considered firearms.
How do you come to that conclusion? GA law defines a firearm as a device that expels a projectile by means of an explosive.

Back
Top Bottom