• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just had a guy Flake on a trade deal. Lesson learned, communicate with anyone you don't know by PM.

Unless they've been here for a while and ive dealt with them before i wouldn't do anything other than PM.

Prolific ODTer or Marine means nothing.

But what if they are a Prolific ODTer, Marine, and a Christian?

If you can't PM, then you will drive to me and it might or might not be here when you get here. That's about as good as it'll get.

I only had one guy back out on a deal. He called me about 6:30 am the morning of the meet and said he had been falsely incarcerated.

I told him to PM me a copy of the citation and we would let go. He did and I did.

Lesson learned, don't go out drinking in Milledgeville the night before a weapons transaction.

I posted a Shield yesterday, and a guy contacted me via text, we agreed on a time and place, and I told him he needed to confirm in PM before meeting. No problem.

Guy had no feedback.
22 posts.

Drove from Athens to me for close to asking price 45min later.

Boom.

Reactions: JWC
Man I feel bad for giving my number out in pm's saying that they could text me if they wanted.

I've been fortunate and haven't had any bad dealings as of yet but I can see why so many people are against texting. For me it's faster to give my number out and have you call or text than it is to have to hang out online and wait on a pm. I'll continue to give whoever I contact that option, but if they want to use pm, I guess that's what we'll use.

I'm probably younger than most of you guys (not quiet forty), but one thing that has stuck with me since my grandfather said it; a man only has his word in the end. I still believe in that and a handshake.

Man I feel bad for giving my number out in pm's saying that they could text me if they wanted.

I've been fortunate and haven't had any bad dealings as of yet but I can see why so many people are against texting. For me it's faster to give my number out and have you call or text than it is to have to hang out online and wait on a pm. I'll continue to give whoever I contact that option, but if they want to use pm, I guess that's what we'll use.

I'm probably younger than most of you guys (not quiet forty), but one thing that has stuck with me since my grandfather said it; a man only has his word in the end. I still believe in that and a handshake.

I don't get in a rush to buy or sell anything, so getting my messages from the day before is fine with me.

I've had deals go for 3 or 4 weeks before they were finalized, and both parties were satisfied.

I tell folks that the PMs will protect us both in the event things go South.

My phone doesn't even have texting capabilities, so that will not be happening, and I usually only get on the computer in the AM.

N Cochran, dang man, I am sorry that you had this bad experience. I have had nearly 100 deals on ODT, and only once have I had a bad experience. I drove from Jonesboro Bass Pro off I-85 to purchase a revolver. I had PMs stating the date, time and place. I contacted the member by phone on the way to the meet. I arrived, and he did not show. No phone call, no message, nothing. My negative feedback was accepted.
No one has mentioned how to confirm a meet through PM. The PM confirming the transaction should include, the date, time, and place of the meet. Also, I find that one should also state "that this deal is based on the condition of the item being as you described, if it is not the deal will not be completed". In the deals I have done, I use that statement to protect me from the unscrupulous trying to hide blemishes in the pictures or just flat being less than honest about the condition of the item. Some don't mind, some take exception to that statement. When I sell or trade, I give them the same opportunity by stating, "if this item is not as described, you do not have to complete the deal, no negative feedback will be given". I understand why you should have to verify the negative feedback. There are those on here that would love to hand out negative feedback for no reason. Having to prove why a negative feedback should be given, keeps those with an axe to grind from messing with the seller/buyer/trader.
Keep the faith N Cochran. There are good members here on this site. The sorry ones get the thread time.

Last edited:
Anyone else had similar experiences, or is it just me!
Drove once thru a rain storm and waited 45 mins for a no-show, when I called to see where it was, he tells me he sold to someone else, another I drove one way a hundred miles, waited and hour, called several times with no answer and returned home. There are some SOB's on here and some Great Guys, don't let the crap heads get to you. I use the ignore and feedback. Once on ignore, I wouldn't give you a bandage for a bullet wound cause I consider you untrustworthy to deal with. It's a shame a few ruin it for so many, but they can be weeded out, Happy Trading and GLWS :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom