• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I'm perplexed now...

I have seen worse. I remember about 30 years ago when I hanging with a friend who was an undertaker had a body of someone who had no family or money to bury them. At tht time the county had to pay the funeral home for services. I remember the casket was a cardboard box built to look sort of like a coffin and the vault was no more than a wooden box that they nailed the lid on after the coffin was laid inside. That was the first and last time I have seen tht in my entire life.

Of all things, an ammo can??? I am at a loss on this one.

Maybe they had no money. My wife and I lost a child when we were in our early twenties. Died in the womb at almost full term. I asked the doctor what do we do now and he sarcastically answered"Well you'll have to name it before you bury it".
I went to the funeral home and they showed me two caskits. The first I swear looked just like a $2 styrofoam ice cooler. The second was several thousand dollars. I was bringing home $170 a week. My father-in-law paid for the nicer one but if he hadnt what could I have done.

Some states/towns require a burial vault...either concrete or steel. For a 16wk old fetus you've have to get one special made for the size--that would take time and would be extremely expensive as few funeral places keep vaults or caskets the size of the small cereal box.

The remains were in a wooden box, placed inside the ammo can that will act as the vault. It's air tight, water proof and will last for years and years underground.

It's neither crazy or sick...it's a pretty good application of common sense.

Some states/towns require a burial vault...either concrete or steel. For a 16wk old fetus you've have to get one special made for the size--that would take time and would be extremely expensive as few funeral places keep vaults or caskets the size of the small cereal box.

The remains were in a wooden box, placed inside the ammo can that will act as the vault. It's air tight, water proof and will last for years and years underground.

Agree!
It's gotta be a hard situation for them or anyone else who has had to deal with this type of tragedy. So I will pray for them and for everyone else that has had to endure this type of pain.

Good post.

A 16 week old baby is less than 5 inches and maybe 3 oz.

I know an ammo can seems strange but it is better than the above mentioned styrofoam cooler the funeral home showed me first to shame me into getting the expensive casket.

Back
Top Bottom