• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

If you could only own 1 battle rifle…

Pick your battle rifle…

• Total voters
I went with the Scar 17. It's a soft shooter and the weigtht is reasonable for what it is. I just listed mine recently though beacuse I don't shoot it enough and it's a little on the expensive side to feed! I can't wait to see how the new Sig Spear in .277 Fury performs against the current gold standards though.
Your Flexing is based

Best in-depth, weighted average comparison I've reviewed on the subject:

Boston's Gun Bible

The M14/M1A variant was the overwhelming winner followed closely by the FAL for numerous reasons including accuracy, number of parts, sights and reliability. Not merely opinion but scientific data. Worth a read if you are truly in the market for a battle rifle.

Plus, they shine up real nice!

thunderbird.jpg

A062F824-C820-49AC-BC29-4A8CC9C5B449.jpeg

This is basically what I chose 40 years ago ---although mine has the bayonet lug and I have several 20 round magazines for it.

I think it's a very reasonable choice. However I can't say that I think it's superior to an A.R. 10 or other supersized AR-15 platform rifle.

If I had to do it all over again in the year 2023, instead of 1983, I would probably be looking at some thing based on Eugene Stoner's AR designs.

The optic would be a low power variable, with an illuminated reticle. PS: that's not what I have on mine; I have a fixed 4X deer rifle scope but I'm too lazy to change it and I like how clear the glass is from my vintage scope.

Best in-depth, weighted average comparison I've reviewed on the subject:

Boston's Gun Bible

The M14/M1A variant was the overwhelming winner followed closely by the FAL for numerous reasons including accuracy, number of parts, sights and reliability. Not merely opinion but scientific data. Worth a read if you are truly in the market for a battle rifle.

Plus, they shine up real nice!

View attachment 5333476
Idk if we can group M1a and accuracy in the same sentence lolol

View attachment 5333473

This is basically what I chose 40 years ago ---although mine has the bayonet lug and I have several 20 round magazines for it.

I think it's a very reasonable choice. However I can't say that I think it's superior to an A.R. 10 or other supersized AR-15 platform rifle.

If I had to do it all over again in the year 2023, instead of 1983, I would probably be looking at some thing based on Eugene Stoner's AR designs.

The optic would be a low power variable, with an illuminated reticle. PS: that's not what I have on mine; I have a fixed 4X deer rifle scope but I'm too lazy to change it and I like how clear the glass is from my vintage scope.
Thanks for the feedback

My M1A shoots 1/2 moa from sandbags with Federal 168 gr. BtHP... Code GM308.

But 99% of the time I feed it old military surplus ammo made in foreign countries, and primarily intended to be fired out of belt fed machine guns.
And the Most Stable shooting position I use most of the time is PRONE. No sandbags. So under these conditions, sure, my rifle gives me 3-4 MOA performance.

Back
Top Bottom