• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was just down at the range and it is nothing personal only business.

Those Rifles have a bad reputation, at my local pawn shop they tend to sell for around $350. I'm surprised what people ask for them on here. I've liked the ones that I've owned but I've also heard people call them jam-o-matics.
Mags are expensive as well.

The pump versions weren't bad though.

740 / 7400 are semi auto versions which have a reputation of being Jam-O-Matics. So they may only be worth $300-$400.

The 760 / 7600 Gamemaster are the pump action versions which have a much better reputation for reliability,
although people don't seem to be impressed with their benchrest accuracy.

They seem to sell for around $600-$900 in unpressured private party sales. I don't know what a gun store or a pawnshop would give a desperate seller.

Got a 740 and a 742. Both run fine. Remington does recommend using 150 grain ammo. Never had an issue with either. I know some of the plastic after market mags have real issues but I have managed to keep my factory mags all these years.

As a former shop owner think about this. Prior to the internet you had a lot of home FFL's. In those days some guys used friends who had FFL's and bought guns near wholesale. There were big shops and some small shops that charged huge markups. I always heard about some obscene price someone pad when they took offense at my offer. It's not the prospective buyers fault if you paid too much somewhere else.

I had a gun throw a hissy fit when I offered him $350.00 for a used Smith 657 at a gun show. What he didn't know was that my cost for a 657 non fluted at that time was $425. I suspect he got several similar offers because I saw him leave the show gun still in hand.

Online sales sights also inflate peoples ideas of what a gun is worth. Just look at this sight. Everyone wants gold for silver, and bitch loudly about it. Two weeks later those same complainers are flipping a gun at double or low balling others while asking for Gold on their silver.

It's all about perception. The gun with the Remington could have said no thank you, maybe he didn't know he had more options. maybe this was the only way he felt safe selling the gun. We don't know why these situations arise, but we all know the economy sucks.

Has anyone else noticed? This page has been stale for a very long time and there have even been posts about it. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a lot of higher end, hard to get and desirable items starting to appear. The stuff that if in my collection I'd plan on never selling. This is what happened when the No-Obama economy hit us hard.

I see this as a warning indicator on the economy. People liquidating nice "never going to sell" assets for cash.

A guy down on his luck brought in a mint Remington 7400 or is it 7600 30-06 I can't remember but it is the semi auto version. Guys at the range offered him 350 for it and he took it. A 1980s remington semi auto 30-06 in mint condition for 350 bucks. My jaw dropped.

If I'd had the cash I'd of gave him 450 for it. But I was picking up a new Colt M4 carbine I'd just bought for 900 off of Buds.

I really wanted to share my opinion with the poor old guy but I wanted to not step on toes and get my Colt paperwork and NICS check done and get out of there.

Now I know if I ever need to sell a firearm they are as bad as a pawn shop.

They call them jam masters. Cool gun but I've been in the woods trying to find the right size stick to put down the barrel to knock the spent casing out. They still are worth more than 350. I'd probably pay 6-7 for the right one.

Back
Top Bottom