• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have decided I need a radio

In. I'm a Ham N5GWU and have a CB base station but not active at this time. Would be interested in hearing some options for mobile as I don't have a unit for the truck.

In. I'm a Ham N5GWU and have a CB base station but not active at this time. Would be interested in hearing some options for mobile as I don't have a unit for the truck.
I have an Lexien in my truck. It works fine and it was inexpensive. If someone steals it it wouldn't be as bad as the IcomID-880H D-Stat radio in my car. Two of my HF rigs also cover 2 meters and 70 cm.
https://www.ebay.com/i/264731305772

..I don't have a SWR Meter so will look at someone that does before using what ever radio I decide on.

When I had a series of CB radios in my cars/ trucks, and some of my friends did too, I got an SWR meter from Radio Shack for $19. With inflation, that would be about $29 today. Yes, it was made in China, even then. Seemed to work to help me select an antenna and then tune it to a 1 : 1.1 ratio.

Some vehicle CB units that big rig drivers use have an SWR meter built into them, right in the front display.

I dug out our old base station, got plenty of coax, but need a decent ground plane.
IMG_20210126_195620.jpg

If anyone has UV5Rs with the programing cable, ill send you the file I made to program them to our local repeaters, MURS, GMRS, FRS, and NOAA. That way all you need is to download Chirp, plug in the cable and upload. This would be for educational purposes only as FCC says you need a license to broadcast
I need this

I have two Magnum Radios. The omega and the striker. I paid over $400 for each of them but that was back in the day when truckers wanted to talk around the world. Then I paid a tech over $300 each to replace the power boards and cold solder everything. Then they did the conversion so now they are 10 and 11 meters. I am not a truck driver but I was getting ready for Obama to take us down the crapper. That is when he was selling all our frequencies and cb was going to the military. So these were semi military radios. However Truckers still want them because I can stand in the parking lot in Walmart in Snellville and talk to someone in Los Angeles. At night is when they really come alive and you can reach down into Venezuela or Columbia. The radios are new in the box and to maximize their kick you have to purchase a 72” Wilson Antenna. Then your talking. I am not sure of the wattage or how you would even flip the right buttons to get there. I had five of these radios and I have Two left. I am going to keep one. I was asking $450 but I’ll let it go for $350. If you don’t like it you can always sell it to a trucker. The fcc came down heavy on them for awhile but the fcc enforcement went away and truckers are interested again.

Back
Top Bottom