• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I don't want to hear another thing about LGS/mom and pops...

If that offends you, then you are not their target market.
IIRC, retail shops get 80% of their sales from 20% of their customers.

Retail is an industry, and works hard to separate you from your money. The product is nowhere near as important as the sales pitch. A great sales pitch is truly awesome, and is best appreciated by another experienced salesman.

Unfortunately, most "salespeople" these days suck, and couldn't sell you a fire extinguisher if your pants were on fire.
The damned troof.

If that offends you, then you are not their target market.
IIRC, retail shops get 80% of their sales from 20% of their customers.

Retail is an industry, and works hard to separate you from your money. The product is nowhere near as important as the sales pitch. A great sales pitch is truly awesome, and is best appreciated by another experienced salesman.

Unfortunately, most "salespeople" these days suck, and couldn't sell you a fire extinguisher if your pants were on fire.

Oh, I am by no means offended, I just don't like being lied to. I will do the only thing that I can do and not give them my money. And, I used to work at Belk's, commission based, and I always did very well. But, I didn't have to lie to people to get them in the store. If a customer called looking for an item, I was honest as to whether we had it in stock or not. Different times I suppose.

Even if I need something, I still am not going in there. I may see if a "friend" will go in there for me, but I can't do it. Too many times of them pissing me off. I have kept trying to get them a second chance, but now it's been 3 or 4 second chances and I am done.

Bro, if you need something from there let me know.....

I think they are:

1.) Ignorant and just do not have any idea of their inventory.
2.) Don't care since they might have something you can use anyway.
3.) Deliberately lie to get you to come into the store because you might see something you want.

If you believe the best about people, the items above are ranked accordingly. If you think the worst about people, reverse the order.
I tend to think in reverse (at least that's what the GF tells me).

Were you 100% commission sales, as in no hourly pay, only commission on what you actually sold?

If so, you would have a better understanding of dealing with a retail shop owner.

Were you 100% commission sales, as in no hourly pay, only commission on what you actually sold?

If so, you would have a better understanding of dealing with a retail shop owner.

No, we also got a very small hourly pay. I don't know how old you are, but this was over 20 years ago that I worked in sales. It was a different time. To those of us that are of the older generation, there is no good reason to lie to your customers. Or perhaps it was just the way that I was raised? If they were out of stock, this conversation would not even be happening. They don't even carry the part that I called about. That is entirely a different thing. I can see no justification for lying about having something in stock that you don't even carry.

No, we also got a very small hourly pay. I don't know how old you are, but this was over 20 years ago that I worked in sales. It was a different time. To those of us that are of the older generation, there is no good reason to lie to your customers. Or perhaps it was just the way that I was raised? If they were out of stock, this conversation would not even be happening. They don't even carry the part that I called about. That is entirely a different thing. I can see no justification for lying about having something in stock that you don't even carry.

I worked 100% commission 40 years ago. Made very good money, enough to pay cash for my home.

I got out of it because of the high pressure, the drinking and the loose women. Some things get old after a while.

Back
Top Bottom