• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I don’t understand the senate gun bills definition of a dealer?

It's about time this law was passed. NOW the ODT Price Militant will have some teeth to bare against those evil members of the brethren who flip guns and make profit off'n regular folks! The Brotherhood will be restored to it's original glory as soon as these evil flippers are reported by the price whiners and they get arrested fer dealin' without a license! Can a feller git a Amen?

Amen brotha (every good preacher needs a hype man)

In for exact text
There is no exact text yet. What was handed out was a "discussion draft". Starts with pages of definitions and corrections, it is pretty mind boggling. Good luck getting through it. I doubt most senators even understand it as currently written. A good bit of stupid stuff about knowingly selling to drug cartels, straw purchases etc. OMG, WTF Over. All **** that is already illegal.

I tried reading the most current copy of the bill, i is very confusing. It stated a gun dealer was someone who sold a gun for profit, I didn’t see anywhere about how many guns you sold, but just you are making a profit and that might make you a gun dealer? Can someone who knows law tell me what it means exactly. If I sell my gun for a dollar more than I payed for it does that make you a felon? Can I sell one gun a year or 20 if those 20 loose money? It’s confusing.
I didn't find it in the new bill but I can tell you what the law says now. To the best of my understanding if you buy one gun with the intent to sell you considered a gun dealer and are required to have a license. You can buy as many as you want for your own collection and decide you don't like them and sell as many as you want with no restrictions as long as your original intent when buying it was not to re-sell it. As I understand it, profit has nothing to do with it.

I didn't find it in the new bill but I can tell you what the law says now. To the best of my understanding if you buy one gun with the intent to sell you considered a gun dealer and are required to have a license. You can buy as many as you want for your own collection and decide you don't like them and sell as many as you want with no restrictions as long as your original intent when buying it was not to re-sell it. As I understand it, profit has nothing to do with it.
Again that’s the point. Your “intent” will be decided for you on cattle car sorting day.

That's the was it's always been. I just downloaded the bill... curious on what it's got in it.

Big change seems to be...

Old
22 (1) in paragraph (21)(C), by striking ‘‘with the
23 principal objective of livelihood and profit’’ and
24 inserting ‘‘to predominantly earn a profit’’;

New
6 ‘‘(22) The term ‘to predominantly earn a profit’
7 means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition
8 of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining pecuniary
9 gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or
10 liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That
11 proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who
12 engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and
13 disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism.

It doesn't look like much of a shift, but I guess it could be. Before you had to be licensed if you wanted to make a 'livelihood' from selling guns. Now it's simply that you intend to make money from it.

It would be tough to apply this to flippers, but it could easily be applied to the folks who work the gun shows on a regular basis as private sellers.

I am afraid the atf will twist this meaning to apply to any gun sell. Arrest you, drain you bank account trying to defend yourself. Ruin your live.
So why would they not have been doing that all along if they thought they could get away with it?

Back
Top Bottom