• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

Anyone shoot Black Tip AP ammo in their Garand??

I've shot some I've loaded up before and it's not bad. Weighing out projectiles, they're more consistent than pull-down M2 ball, so they do tend to shoot more accurate - but it ain't no SMK.

Of course, don't go shooting them at steel, but they're not bad even for paper.

Well, with all of the election bs going on, I figured I'd might as well get out for some trigger therapy. Mission accomplished and feel way better!

I sighted in 3, 1903 Springfield sniper rifles and the M1D - the shoulder is a bit tender today, but I did stretch them all out to 700yds and had a blast

20201106_105425.jpg

How did the spring field 03 sniper perform?

Surprisingly, much better than I gave them credit for. I was shooting 178grn ELD's over 46grns of IMR4895 and had the rifles with the Unertl and A5 scopes shooting consistently at 1moa, which I credit to the magnification of both scopes. They would routinely bughole 3-4rnds, but have the inevitable shot or 2 to open things up. The accuracy was still very acceptable. The 1903A4, with the 2.5x scope didn't perform quite as well for me, as the best I could do with it was right at 1.5MOA.

Where I was shooting has very little wind coming down through the valley where the range is, so making consistent hits at distance wasn't terribly difficult. I would not have wanted to have been a bad guy facing squarely at me and not moving with any of the rifles, to include the M1D.

( I was out shooting with my son today , I got him his first real deer rifle. It’s a Savage Axis II with the accu-trigger in .243) wowza what a neat little youth rifle . If he can prove to me he is a good shot and safe with it over this deer season he may earn himself a trip to the cmp.

( I was out shooting with my son today , I got him his first real deer rifle. It’s a Savage Axis II with the accu-trigger in .243) wowza what a neat little youth rifle . If he can prove to me he is a good shot and safe with it over this deer season he may earn himself a trip to the cmp.

I'm itching to get back to the CMP myself. My lad has taken a genuine interest in what I call "homeschooling history" and use it as a good reason to discuss military history on any given day. He went with me to pick out my M1D and I'd think he'd have an absolute blast if we went down to let him pick out "his" rifle.

20201108_104239.jpg

20201108_163838.jpg

20200402_173657.jpg

Back
Top Bottom