• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dear US Army 60s Manual Garand is NOT METRIC

GeorgiaShooter

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
43   0
Reaction score
Lots of videos online and links lead you to the Garand 1964 manual which IMO is a cluster cluck because it talks about how 2 clicks equals 1.4 centimeters and all metric. Like the M14 I assume. They describe battle zero at 25 meters compared to 250 meters which isn't even represented on the elevation dial. Of course the original manual below from WWII represents the way I was taught. 1 click equals 1 inch at 100 yards for elevation and windage or wind correction, shooting into the wind etc.

I'm 9 clicks to get the dial to read 100 yards which is an unlabeled line just below the 200 yard line. Takes me about 12 clicks from bottomed out to match the 200 yard line on the Garand knob. I need to figure out what the lines below those mean. One looks like it has another 2 in it but my eyes are bad.|

The older manual that I prefer.

Another reason I like the old manual. It says Ft Benning not Moore and it’s not politically correct at all.
1700255660996.png

By 1964 the M1 Garand was no longer a front-line weapon for our military. We had the M14 for several years already and the M-16 was about to replace THAT.

So, the M1 was to be offered to our allies around the world to help them fight the Cold War. Since the rest of the world uses the metric system it makes sense to make training manuals and videos that reference the metric system for a gun that you expect to export.

That is understood but the problem was in how they did it (imho).

The marks on the Garand show 100, 200, 300, 400 yards for elevation. Which roughly equates to 91, 182, 274, 365 meters. The default 1 MOA click is 2.7cm. But that's not how the book is designed.

They describe their new battle zero achieved at 25 meters based on an end result of 250 meters. And this 25m impact is in centimeters above the point of aim. Something like 4.5 centimeters or 1.77 inches.

Problem is there's NO mark on the Garand for 250 meters which is 273 yards. Seems like they want to use the 300 yard line as the 250 meter reference.

I do agree though and appreciate the logic, hate how they did it. Old manual better.

Great post and informative. I hope you figure out what the “lines below” come out to. While it hasn’t been a “Front Line” issue weapon for a long time, and I could (probably) be wrong; but I think that the M1 Garand is still used in some capacity in the Navy? It’s been a few years since I checked. Either way , Thank you. I’ll be looking to order the old manual.

Great post and informative. I hope you figure out what the “lines below” come out to. While it hasn’t been a “Front Line” issue weapon for a long time, and I could (probably) be wrong; but I think that the M1 Garand is still used in some capacity in the Navy? It’s been a few years since I checked. Either way , Thank you. I’ll be looking to order the old manual.
Wrong. Used as a drill and training weapon for a long time say’s the interwebs. Good post though.

Follow up. Had more time on the outdoor range and after calibration of the rear sights and drifting the windage of the front sight by loosening the allen head I am getting great hits. With the rear elevation set to 550Y I can hold on the base of a 500m steel gong and hit it just about every shot with old eyes and irons. The marks on the dial below 100 yards are the 1200 and 1000 marks that come around the front side and line up with the reference mark at longest ranges. My two club ranges at RBGC.org only go out to 530 meters and 600 yards.

Luck was with me having another member present with video camera and spotting scope. I was on steel with the 3rd shot and never missed after that. The gun with partisan ammo was consistent enough to be boring. I plan on dry firing my skill and make the shot standing. I don't have a shooting glove or coat but neither did the old farts.

Follow up. Had more time on the outdoor range and after calibration of the rear sights and drifting the windage of the front sight by loosening the allen head I am getting great hits. With the rear elevation set to 550Y I can hold on the base of a 500m steel gong and hit it just about every shot with old eyes and irons. The marks on the dial below 100 yards are the 1200 and 1000 marks that come around the front side and line up with the reference mark at longest ranges. My two club ranges at RBGC.org only go out to 530 meters and 600 yards.

Luck was with me having another member present with video camera and spotting scope. I was on steel with the 3rd shot and never missed after that. The gun with partisan ammo was consistent enough to be boring. I plan on dry firing my skill and make the shot standing. I don't have a shooting glove or coat but neither did the old farts.

Nice looking spot.

Back
Top Bottom