• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

@jbbear6002

Picked up my 1893 Spanish Mauser yesterday and I have to say, I'm actually really impressed with what I got. The pictures on GB were so/so, so it's always nice getting something better than you expected. It's an Oviedo manufactured rifle built in 1908.

I took it all apart last night and scrubbed the piss out of it with a bronze brush and Kroil. There was a touch of pitting under the rear barrel band, but everything else looks terrific for being a 112 year old rifle. I usually make a point of scrubbing the wood with some 0000 steel wool and a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Raw Linseed Oil - I didn't even bother. I may still end up doing that. I just finished scrubbing the barrel with Flitz and Kroil and it cleaned up really nicely. Not shiny by any stretch, but there's still plenty of strong rifling there.

The parts are matching everywhere except the bolt - the Spaniards had a habit of storing the rifles and bolts separately, so a Spanish with a matching bolt is a rare animal. While a true Spanish American War rifle would be more desired (made in 1896 or earlier), those are pricey and this is a real good representative example of what was used during the war. Overall, not bad for $245.

SpanMau.jpg

Back
Top Bottom