• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Holy moly it just hit me. Russia warns of EMP attack.

how do you think that it is not?...no electronics points ignition.battery disconnect..Faraday cage explain it or am i missing something

Because it actually does have electronics in it. You have to really read about EMP's to understand what outcomes MAY be. Truth is, we don't really know.

Some of the most interesting info I have found is from a Russian test. I want to say it was called "Russian test 84" or something like that. Search for "Russian EMP test" and you will likely find it.

Anyways what is quite interesting is that when they did this test (which was detonated a live nuke in an air burst and monitoring the effects) they found lots of components dead or defective.

In fact, they found that ceramic insulators degraded or plain broke. They found electric insulation to be broken down and useless. All kind of crazy issues. They found dielectric coatings on coild broken down and punctured causing short circuits and the components to be toast. They even mention generators that are not connected to any type of wiring. Their alternators were fried.

So basically, if we apply the info in that test, your spark plugs would break or breakdown, your plug wires would be the same.

All those solenoids/motors/actuators like your starter solenoid, relays, starter mother, alternator, alternator/battery wires, door locks, etc etc etc would be useless. Not to mention every single fuse, breaker, and fusible link.

That's if we apply what the Russians found to your car. Again we don't really know for sure.

so here are references to the test.
Its interesting that even buried power lines got F'd up.
Soviet Project K nuclear tests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and there are more.

but basically for your z28 to be EMP proof you MAY have to have most of the fuses/relays/breakers/solenoids/motors/actuators/etc etc in a faraday cage (Mil-Std is best for all the racists out there!) and then replace it all and hope that there isnt a second one.

I am planning an EMP proof BOV build here in the next year. I just have to sell my 72 Blazer first.

so here are references to the test.
Its interesting that even buried power lines got F'd up.
Soviet Project K nuclear tests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and there are more.

but basically for your z28 to be EMP proof you MAY have to have most of the fuses/relays/breakers/solenoids/motors/actuators/etc etc in a faraday cage (Mil-Std is best for all the racists out there!) and then replace it all and hope that there isnt a second one.

I am planning an EMP proof BOV build here in the next year. I just have to sell my 72 Blazer first.

I'll be the first to say that we don't fully understand (from a scientific method point of view) the interactions of a purpose-built EMP nuclear device with all of mankind's modern conveniences. But the tests you are referring to in the former Soviet Union, with reports of destroyed ceramics, insulators, fuses, etc., were all about things that were connected to hundreds or even thousands of kilometers of wiring, which caused the well-known amplification effect of the long-wavelength pulse(s).

brad's z28 isn't connected to the power or communication grid. The E3 pulse, assuming it's in proximity to the z28, only has the wiring within the car to generate an amplified current, and then only at frequencies that can get past the Faraday cage shielding of the car's frame and body. The z28's alternator, plugs, points, and leads are already engineered to handle tens of thousands of volts of magnetically induced current. Without the delicate wiring of electronics, it's hard to imagine how the generated currents would get large enough to threaten the old-tech z28.

I'll be the first to say that we don't fully understand (from a scientific method point of view) the interactions of a purpose-built EMP nuclear device with all of mankind's modern conveniences. But the tests you are referring to in the former Soviet Union, with reports of destroyed ceramics, insulators, fuses, etc., were all about things that were connected to hundreds or even thousands of kilometers of wiring, which caused the well-known amplification effect of the long-wavelength pulse(s).

brad's z28 isn't connected to the power or communication grid. The E3 pulse, assuming it's in proximity to the z28, only has the wiring within the car to generate an amplified current, and then only at frequencies that can get past the Faraday cage shielding of the car's frame and body. The z28's alternator, plugs, points, and leads are already engineered to handle tens of thousands of volts of magnetically induced current. Without the delicate wiring of electronics, it's hard to imagine how the generated currents would get large enough to threaten the old-tech z28.
racist, maybe you have trouble reading.
they found the same issues on equipment that was disconnected. Diesel generators that were sitting there not wired to anything, had the same issues with the dielectric coating on the windings.

anyways, i was making a disclaimer and still do that we dont know for sure. I just know what it says. It may or may not apply at all. who knows? hopefully we never find out, cause most of us would be dead anyways.

oh and, those alternators are almost always encased in metal. which is your favorite "non mil-std" faraday cage that is "still a faraday cage" and "will be good enough".....

... just saying

Back
Top Bottom