• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hodgdon announces another $$$$ increase

Just heard some interviews with some powder and ammo companies at SHOT show. To a person they said ammo prices will increase this year because of:

1) Demand by military customers for large volumes of ammo.
2) A lot of the base chemicals used in ammo production are made in China and Russia these days.
3) Inflation and the cost of buying subcomponents.

Those are world-wide issues that will effect us. Domestically, we'll be in an election year as well which can always cause increases.

I also heard that hodgdon is not shipping to commercial retailers. I have heard that from 2 gun shops. Their products and other's will be in short supply pretty soon.

I also heard that hodgdon is not shipping to commercial retailers. I have heard that from 2 gun shops. Their products and other's will be in short supply pretty soon.

You can still order direct from Hodgdon, which is good business for them because most of the sales will happen via credit cards, so they know they'll get paid.

If I wanted to make my company a bit more profitable and resilient at the moment, I'd cultivate the distributor channel, and cut back on selling to retailers - especially smaller ones.

Takes less staff, you can concentrate on your volume customers and reduce the amount of outstanding 'small' invoices, some of which may well be at retailers who might or might not survive the coming economic storms.

What would be telling would be if they told large customers like Midway, Grafs and Powder Valley that they have to purchase thru' the distributor network too.

Just checked Academy Sports website a few minutes ago and they are up about 50% on a lot of their stuff being listed. Finding it in stock is another issue.

Yeah, I mean I looked at Academy for Longshot. None in stock, but if they did have, they want $53.

The good news is that you can find better prices:

Cabelas $44
Midsouth $40

There are even places out there with lower prices than that. Obviously, if you're having it shipped, you have HAZMAT fees, but if you're buing a couple pounds it's not AS painful.

Lots of powders ARE out there if you're prepared to hunt around the well-known sellers. I was in TruPrep in Marietta 2 weeks ago and they had 40 or 50 #1 jugs of Varget on hand.

Do watch out for online sellers with too-good-to-be-true prices. There are a lot of fraudulent sellers out there.

Yeah, I mean I looked at Academy for Longshot. None in stock, but if they did have, they want $53.

The good news is that you can find better prices:

Cabelas $44
Midsouth $40

There are even places out there with lower prices than that. Obviously, if you're having it shipped, you have HAZMAT fees, but if you're buing a couple pounds it's not AS painful.

Lots of powders ARE out there if you're prepared to hunt around the well-known sellers. I was in TruPrep in Marietta 2 weeks ago and they had 40 or 50 #1 jugs of Varget on hand.

Do watch out for online sellers with too-good-to-be-true prices. There are a lot of fraudulent sellers out there.
Academy will price match FYI

Back
Top Bottom