• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Dumb Question - This time - powders

I second using Hodgdon's web page. I use it more than my Lyman manual.

I was using 4895 for 30-06, 308, and 45-70 until I realized Varget does all those at lower pressures with less powder at basically the same velocity.

You mentioned cost and HAZMAT so I'll point out there were a couple of vendors offering free HAZMAT (& shipping I think) on orders over $300. Easily reached with an 8lb jug and a couple of bottles of rifle powder.

This is more a general question about how do you select the 'right' powder for your application if you are not prepared to rely wholly on recommendations from strangers (no criticism implied to the current audience)

I know that you can at times get deals on HAZMAT and shipping in general (Midsouth Shooters has a deal like that at the moment) - but I'm still navigating around that initial selection of powders and matching them to the application.

O.K...I see....said the blind man....good luck with all that...I'll tell you....I had some trouble running my reloads through AR type rifles...I had loads for other guns, stuff I wasn't going to use anymore, and....I thought(stupidly so) that I could use them for plinking at the range.....not so true....it ended up a mess....anyway, just make sure to load them by the book...measurements I'm talking about....most of these automatics do not digest "custom" loads very good....now, this is my input, results could vary....I now use only factory ammo in my AR's

Opinions always vary, put 5 of us in a room and you'll be lucky to walk away with under 10 opinions. Mine is every weapon is different - your preferred primer/case/bullet/powder doesn't mean beans - the weapon likes what it likes. Season can change everything too, what works in the summer can suck in the winter.

The advantage of reloading is you can make what works for each rifle and play around with different components based on what is available.

Keep in mind that the data shown in the books and on the web is from their test rifles. I just worked up 3 loads for my 308.
I used the same manufacturer brass and bullets for all 3. Only one came out to close to the FPS published in the data I was using.
Accurate 2460 was the winner. Varget was a close second.

That's why for this exercise I'm mainly talking about the easiest way to feed a bunch of 4MOA battle rifles with ammo loaded with bullets around 150gr.

I saw that you referenced 30-06. Would one of your "battle rifles" be a Garand? If so, I'd be careful which powder you use because you may end up with a bent op rod.

The CMP reloading forum may be a good place to look. Here's one thread of many that have been posted over the years:

I saw that you referenced 30-06. Would one of your "battle rifles" be a Garand? If so, I'd be careful which powder you use because you may end up with a bent op rod.

The CMP reloading forum may be a good place to look. Here's one thread of many that have been posted over the years:

That was specifically why I noted IMR-4895 in the OP.

But also why I'm not intending to develop an 'optimized' hot round for the Garand. I'll be reloading for a single Lee Enfield and a single Mosin, and each of them have reloading quirks and characteristics specific to that type of gun and I'll have to cater for those too.

If possible, I'd like to be developing - for these fireams - ammo that doesn't unduly wear or stress the rifles and is capable of putting a round on paper at 100 yards. Not looking to reveal their inner tack-driver.

The 308 is a different issue. I've got a number of guns chambered in that - all modern - and I'll have a lot more latitude over optimizing loads for them.

Back
Top Bottom