• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Dumb Question - This time - powders

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
OK,

So I've been doing a fair amount of research in general, and there's a lot of really sketchy advice out there on the internet - but the current situation with powder supply means that getting the powders cited in a reloading manual can be a real problem.

Example - I went out to try and find a good general purpose 30 caliber powder - ideally that would be 'pretty good' for 30-06, 303 British, 308 Win and 7.62 Russian. IMR-4895 looks like a good candidate. Now, 4895 isn't impossible to get, but I'm cheap and don't like paying hazmat fees.

So I think - what are the alternatives? - and then you get to see just how personal some reloaders get with their choices. So I discovered burn rate charts.

Now, I love all my fingers, but I'm also pretty analytical, so I take a look at the charts and can see that recommendations for alternatives really are clustered around IMR-4895. Is that REALLY the primary determinent of what might be a good alternative?

If I check out this: https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2023-burn-rate-chart.pdf - and look at entry 98, if I stay around that area in the chart (and load cautiously at first, checking for overpressure etc) - is that ALL there is to choosing alternatives?

If you're going to the trouble to reload you should make the most of it. Get the most accuracy and function you can. You'll only realize this by trial and error as everybody is different. For me, I like Winchester 748

Would caution to stay with published load data from the powder manufacturers.
There are other characteristics of powders beyond burn rate which make it suitable for a given load.

Let's take 30-06 for example:
Hodgdon lists 5 different brands and 40 different powders yielding hundreds of different loads for the 30-06 :cool:

Here is the link to load data for Alliant Powders:

In the case of my battle rifles, I'm simply loading to get something to hit paper with when people want to experience firing an old gun. In the specific case of the 308, yeah, you bet I'm going to be doing some more precise load development - but I'm trying to undertand the variables at play in powder selection that will in turn let me understand what's going on for load development.

If you're going to the trouble to reload you should make the most of it. Get the most accuracy and function you can. You'll only realize this by trial and error as everybody is different. For me, I like Winchester 748

Yep, but that's the point - I don't want to make powder selection a trial and error exercise. If - for example - I use a reloading recipe (in my case, I use the Lyman handbook) I can see i have a huge selection of powders for a 150gr load. They recommend an IMR-4064 load as 'optimal' but what if I can't get 4064, but I can get RX15 or 760?

I have recommended loads for those powders too - which should I buy? Should I toss a coin? Should I google reddit postings for the advice?

man, your in for a WORLD of opinions on this...like one of the earlier posts.....it just doesn't boil down to one powder, and that's it....as that post stated the person liked a particular powder...that does not mean that you have to love that powder.....if you go at from the way I assume your headed, find the powder, then match the load...otherwise select the load, then find the powder, which you do not like....AND...something else to consider.....different guns, like different loads....just because one person is having luck with a load, will mean you will share the same success....you might, you might not...out of all the guns I load for, I only have ONE rifle that the load is set, and will not change...pistols...not so much

That's why for this exercise I'm mainly talking about the easiest way to feed a bunch of 4MOA battle rifles with ammo loaded with bullets around 150gr.

I'll probably get much more analytical for the 308 because if I start shooting more 'demanding' accuracy, that'll be the caliber I'd use unless I get really into it and start developing for a totally different cartridge that is inherently more accurate (I won't be specific here, just so I don't accidentally summon Vess)

You mentioned cost and HAZMAT so I'll point out there were a couple of vendors offering free HAZMAT (& shipping I think) on orders over $300. Easily reached with an 8lb jug and a couple of bottles of rifle powder.

Yep, but that's the point - I don't want to make powder selection a trial and error exercise. If - for example - I use a reloading recipe (in my case, I use the Lyman handbook) I can see i have a huge selection of powders for a 150gr load. They recommend an IMR-4064 load as 'optimal' but can't get 4064, but I can get RX15 or 760.

I have recommended loads for those powders too - which should I buy? Should I toss a coin? Should I google reddit postings for the advice?
Those loading manuals will help a lot. For the cartridges you listed, I think 748 would be a better fit over 760. 760 is a slower burning powder usually more suited for magnums. Better on recoil as well. More of a slower push than a quick snap to the shoulder. The 748 will work well for many different actions with a condensed amount of powder. Means more loads per pound of powder, saving some money

Back
Top Bottom