• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hodgdon announces another $$$$ increase

Add to that the impact of the foreign exchange rates. As the economy experiences inflation, and US debt increases there's also the effect of the US becoming less creditworthy and the dollar being a less desirable store of value to foreign investors.

Given that a lot of powders are manufactured abroad, that devaluation of the dollar in FX terms will mean the imported powders may rise in price even more than domestic ones. We have a bit of a buffer, because I expect that 2024's powder supply has already been contracted with the manufacturers, but welcome to the world of a less trusted dollar.

8-10% inflation while still getting over a run on ammo, and folks are surprised?

That's the problem with inflation though. It gets built in to the next sales cycle as an assumption, causing prices to rise, causing more inflation... yada yada yada.

Received this from one of my powder & components distributors yesterday. This is the 5th increase in 3 years. Powder is already selling at a avg. cost of 40$ per pound MSPR. SMH

Good morning. Hodgdon announced an increase last week, effective immediately. The increase was substantial (12-35%) across the board on all powders. The new pricing moving forward is in the attached catalog.

On the non-powder items, this is your last chance at 2023 pricing as we will transition over to the 2024 late this week. Information on known increases is on the information page. Norma has discontinued quite a few items for 2024 and pricing is on the information page as well for those. Please get those while they last if you need those items or any of the Lehigh we are closing out.
End...
Regards,
BlackPowderBill
Hull GA
Alliant went so high a few months ago that it only makes sense for Hodgdon to assume they can charges the same %450 per pound bulk. "Hey, if so and so can get it, so can we". As long as demand is high the prices will keep going up. This also happens when big companies consolidate a small manufacturing class. No competition.

Prices are climbing, had my guy I buy primers from tell me he is going up 16.00 per thousand next week, found some trail boss I heard it’s been out of stock for years so I bought some just to have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 13
Alliant owned by ATK
Shooters World is Czech
Vhitavouri is the same group that owns Lapua, sako/tikka

Hodgdon, winchester, imr, ramshot and accurate all owned by Hodgdon.

Did I forget anyone?

As for actual manufacturers of the powder St. Marks in Florida makes stuff for hodgdon and ATK. Bofors in Sweden makes stuff for ATK. Lovex in Czech Republic makes shooters world. Not sure who makes VV. Thales in Australia makes the extreme line for hodgdon. And most of IMR is the former dupont plant in Canada.

Sooooo if there is a price increase on the manufacturing side, it is what it is. If hodgdon is the only one raising prices. It's nice to own the lions share of the US canister market.
Sounds like you know what you’re talking about.

I believe the rifle powders that are stick are made in Sweden. The flake and ball stuff is still made in Radford VA.

Rosewood
Bofors makes Alliant powder in Sweden. All the RL series. Stuff like the MR series are St.Marks.

Hodgdons extreme powders like varget, 4895, 4350 and 1000 are made by Thales in Australia. Over there it's sold as ADI.
Their ball powders, most if not all being made by St.Marks in Florida. It's most of their pistol powders and rifle powders like cfe223, and bl2c and superformance.

IMR is still the old Dupont plant in Canada. General Dynamics owns that plant and St.Marks. Some pistol powders like trailboss are Australian.

Anyways, here's the link to read the MSDS so you all can know where Hodgdon buys all their stuff.

Good video about Hodgen powder, I did not watch all of it, but he does go into who makes what where good general info on reloading powder

Back
Top Bottom