• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

High school cars....

Sounds like your folks had the same style of raising kids as mine, hard knocks and no freeloading. I hated it back then but now appreciate the hell out of it. Taught me respect and the value of a dollar.
Taught me to absolutely loath any form of "taxation." LOL!

Yep, know the drill. Buffing casket handles making money to support my addiction. My dad co-signed the note but I sure as hell had to pay it. Right outta high school and working 6 days a week. Loving every minute of it.
My folks couldn’t co sign for a note(bad credit) guess they new that because at 12 they started telling me to get a job

This is the car I drove to school my senior year, 1975. It's a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle with a Rolls Royce fiberglass kit. The kit was called "The Elegant Beetle" made by a company here in Atlanta. I am told that Rolls Royce sued the company and production of the kits were halted. Sort of like the Glock/Smith & Wesson VE series, RR claimed the kit was too close of a resemblance to their product and won the judgement. The kit even included the "Flying Lady" hood ornament.

View attachment 3049431
Now THAT is ghetto fabulous!

I can’t speak for everyone else, but the year I turned 13 I went to work part time after school, full time two jobs during the summer. Saved my money up and bought my nova for myself on my 15th birthday, kept working and fixed it up. I never stopped working, totaled the car two months before my 17th birthday two days before it was scheduled for new paint. My truck I paid cash for as well from my savings. And I also paid my insurance and gas.
I started at 12 working after school and getting SS taken out. I learned how to work and save but usually spent most of it. My first car was a yellow Opel Station Wagon. Super good car and had all that area in the back that was just right. Sold it a few years later and bought a 1970 Opel GT. That was a neat little car as it had the neat roll over headlights. Oh, those were the days.

This is the car I drove to school my senior year, 1975. It's a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle with a Rolls Royce fiberglass kit. The kit was called "The Elegant Beetle" made by a company here in Atlanta. I am told that Rolls Royce sued the company and production of the kits were halted. Sort of like the Glock/Smith & Wesson VE series, RR claimed the kit was too close of a resemblance to their product and won the judgement. The kit even included the "Flying Lady" hood ornament.

View attachment 3049431
I remember seeing those running around. I used to chuckle every time. That was before "Don't hate the playa, hate the game" was even a thing. :lol:

WoW!!! this is getting interesting!!!
So...2 full time jobs, cars paid for in cash, by teenagers...banks making loans to teenagers.....all this while in high school, or, in some cases in elementary school.....8,000 rpm out of a large block....floating at 140mph...or is it 160....I'm so overwhelmed, I really do not remember...I suppose nobody had to pay insurance.....mussel car...teen ager....paid for in cash.....I'm sure insurance was almost free....wonder where it is that you can do 160mph??? next thing....somebody will have had the Saturn 5 rocket booster strapped on the roof of their vega....filled up on regular....

WoW!!! this is getting interesting!!!
So...2 full time jobs, cars paid for in cash, by teenagers...banks making loans to teenagers.....all this while in high school, or, in some cases in elementary school.....8,000 rpm out of a large block....floating at 140mph...or is it 160....I'm so overwhelmed, I really do not remember...I suppose nobody had to pay insurance.....mussel car...teen ager....paid for in cash.....I'm sure insurance was almost free....wonder where it is that you can do 160mph??? next thing....somebody will have had the Saturn 5 rocket booster strapped on the roof of their vega....filled up on regular....
You could do 160mph on the road in S Fla that I lived on. No houses, 18 miles without a rise, hill or knoll. Straight as an arrow. NO traffic at all but I have killed 2 cows driving in two separate incidences. You could see for miles and see any traffic headed your way. Bet it is still that way today. I was not driving but rode with a guy driving an XKE 2+2 to 157mph.

You could do 160mph on the road in S Fla that I lived on. No houses, 18 miles without a rise, hill or knoll. Straight as an arrow. NO traffic at all but I have killed 2 cows driving in two separate incidences. You could see for miles and see any traffic headed your way. Bet it is still that way today. I was not driving but rode with a guy driving an XKE 2+2 to 157mph.
glad you never hit a cow.....at 157

Back
Top Bottom