• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

High school cars....

Yea, expensive as hell for a teenager. Sixty dollars a month.
Vin is legible so is date and full amount financed. Of coarse...had to have my dad co-sign. I was 18. 66’ GTO. My first and the start of a major addiction.

View attachment 3049405
Should have kept it. If you still had it you could have gotten your interest payments back.

Somewhat mystified by all these mussel cars everybody had in high school....there were a couple guys who had them at my school, however that was about that.....and we're talking Dykes high school in Buckhead.... maybe these folks are posting their dream cars.....I had a 1967 Camaro rs.....no mussel car, not by any means(2 speed automatic)...Santa, apparently bought it used....IF we go back...to my older sister, when my dad had a 1967 Shelby Cobra...GT500....well that's a different story.....he let her take it to school one time.....she hit the car in front of her, while driving in front of the school....being fiberglass....it was not pretty....that was that....btw...he sold the car several months prior to me turning 16...
I can’t speak for everyone else, but the year I turned 13 I went to work part time after school, full time two jobs during the summer. Saved my money up and bought my nova for myself on my 15th birthday, kept working and fixed it up. I never stopped working, totaled the car two months before my 17th birthday two days before it was scheduled for new paint. My truck I paid cash for as well from my savings. And I also paid my insurance and gas.

This is what I wanted in high school. I drove something that was not as fast and not as cool. :dispirited: Still like this generation of Fox bodies.
iu

Too funny. I bought a 1 owner ‘64 back when I car pooled to work. The other two guys had cool cars but wanted me to drive them in the VW for some reason.
Chic magnet.:becky:

My dad's cousin was a mechanic and he would find old VW's and fix them up, engine, paint, body, whatever. The other good thing is that you could basically replace/find any part by using the JC Whitney catalog. I was thrilled to get it. He had it looking good on the outside, I bought seat covers from JCW and I was good to go. Except in the winter, the heater was crap and no defroster if you had ice. Bought a long-handled ice scraper for those situations and scraped the windshield as you drove down the road. The good ole days...

I can’t speak for everyone else, but the year I turned 13 I went to work part time after school, full time two jobs during the summer. Saved my money up and bought my nova for myself on my 15th birthday, kept working and fixed it up. I never stopped working, totaled the car two months before my 17th birthday two days before it was scheduled for new paint. My truck I paid cash for as well from my savings. And I also paid my insurance and gas.
I did this too, even with my dad taking 2/3rds of my takehome pay as "contributions to the household.'

I did this too, even with my dad taking 2/3rds of my takehome pay as "contributions to the household.'
Sounds like your folks had the same style of raising kids as mine, hard knocks and no freeloading. I hated it back then but now appreciate the hell out of it. Taught me respect and the value of a dollar.

This is the car I drove to school my senior year, 1975. It's a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle with a Rolls Royce fiberglass kit. The kit was called "The Elegant Beetle" made by a company here in Atlanta. I am told that Rolls Royce sued the company and production of the kits were halted. Sort of like the Glock/Smith & Wesson VE series, RR claimed the kit was too close of a resemblance to their product and won the judgement. The kit even included the "Flying Lady" hood ornament.

Rolls Wagen.jpg

Yep, know the drill. Buffing casket handles making money to support my addiction. My dad co-signed the note but I sure as hell had to pay it. Right outta high school and working 6 days a week. Loving every minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom