• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Have you ever witnessed something that absolutely freaked you out?

So I've read through this whole thread and thought I would drop this in here. Full disclosure, this post and its author operate out of a New Testament understanding of the way the world works, up to - and most definitely including - Ephesians 6:12.

I was dating a girl and her father was a lead minister in a somewhat, shall we say, charismatic wing of the PCUSA church. Back then, in the early 2000's the PCUSA wasn't really the flagrant group that it can be now, so to some, being "pentecostal" was already a bridge to far; but now that they've gone full inclusionist, it really seems silly that just a few years ago speaking in toungues could get you in hot water....but I digress.

We've flown up to Sutton, Alaska to a place called Victory Bible Camp and the girlfriend's Dad is leading this conference on prayer and spiritual warfare. And before we get into this, I should note that I am a willing skeptic at this point. I went to the conference because, heck, it was Alaska, it was free, and my girlfriend was going to be there. Sweet deal, right?

So it's opening night, we've all sort of "met and mingled" and we've gather for our first night of worship. We've sung a few songs and then girlfriend's dad tells us all to break up into groups and pray for one another. So I'm with the girlfriend in this one group and as the prayer begins, we all hold hands, one person prays and then squeezes the hand of the next person and around the circle we go. Well, I had already prayed and as is often the case in these situations, my mind wanders...I'm sure you can relate.

And I only notice something is up in the group next to me because I notice that it has been silent for awhile...and so I sort of pay attention...and no one is praying...and I think to myself, "they can't be through already." And then I hear a sweet old lady say to someone, "go on honey, it's your turn." And "honey" responds politely that she doesn't want to pray. At this point, I'm intrigued so I open my eyes and look over. She's about my age, black hair, fair skin, late teens, in black yoga pants and two tanks tops as was the trend back then, one was white and over it was a green one. Yes, I was checking her out...sorry.

But anyhow, this goes on for a few more beats and then the lady again urges her to pray. Honey again replies politely that she doesn't want to. A few more awkward seconds and then another man in the group asks her if she's OK, to which she sheepishly responds that's she fine, she just doesn't want to pray. At this point, I begin to get a little pissed. Leave her alone, right? Maybe she has anxiety issues, maybe she's shy. She doesn't want to pray, so what? Just leave it be and move on, right? Well then another guy asks her why she doesn't want to pray and she starts crying. And at this point I'm about to go over there and talk some sense into these people. So the woman who started the whole thing goes over to hug her and comfort her and dude number two that asked why she didn't want to pray goes over and asks again. He says "What's wrong with you? Why don't you want to pray?".......and guys, hand to the Lord on a Bible.....this girl's eyes roll back in her head and she slumps over into the old ladies arms and says, in a voice that curdled my soul then and still gives me goosebumps today, "She does not believe."

This group of people banded together and began praying for her. Dude Number Two who I later found out was the associate pastor to Girlfriend's Dad goes to get Girlfriend's Dad. He shows up and literally talks to this demon and in Jesus' name, casts it out. Immediately, this girl's eyes roll back into her head, she gasps deeply and passes *ahem* the hell out.

In about ten minutes she wakes up and has no recollection of what happened. She remembers having this feeling of dread right before we broke up to start praying but then has a blank until she woke up. While she was asleep several people prayed for her and this one native Inuit woman sang over her the whole time...it was surreal. She commited her life to Christ that evening after waking up.

Several other stories from that weekend that opened my eyes to the fact that indeed, the devil is like a lion, prowling around waiting to devour us.

Which is why the biggest thing that scared me away from church was.......you
guessed it......church.
God dang creepy azz chit happens at church.
Sorry been to too many of them to want to rejoin any of them.

Which is why the biggest thing that scared me away from church was.......you
guessed it......church.
God dang creepy azz chit happens at church.
Sorry been to too many of them to want to rejoin any of them.
What kinda churches you going to, brother? :laugh:

So I've read through this whole thread and thought I would drop this in here. Full disclosure, this post and its author operate out of a New Testament understanding of the way the world works, up to - and most definitely including - Ephesians 6:12.

I was dating a girl and her father was a lead minister in a somewhat, shall we say, charismatic wing of the PCUSA church. Back then, in the early 2000's the PCUSA wasn't really the flagrant group that it can be now, so to some, being "pentecostal" was already a bridge to far; but now that they've gone full inclusionist, it really seems silly that just a few years ago speaking in toungues could get you in hot water....but I digress.

We've flown up to Sutton, Alaska to a place called Victory Bible Camp and the girlfriend's Dad is leading this conference on prayer and spiritual warfare. And before we get into this, I should note that I am a willing skeptic at this point. I went to the conference because, heck, it was Alaska, it was free, and my girlfriend was going to be there. Sweet deal, right?

So it's opening night, we've all sort of "met and mingled" and we've gather for our first night of worship. We've sung a few songs and then girlfriend's dad tells us all to break up into groups and pray for one another. So I'm with the girlfriend in this one group and as the prayer begins, we all hold hands, one person prays and then squeezes the hand of the next person and around the circle we go. Well, I had already prayed and as is often the case in these situations, my mind wanders...I'm sure you can relate.

And I only notice something is up in the group next to me because I notice that it has been silent for awhile...and so I sort of pay attention...and no one is praying...and I think to myself, "they can't be through already." And then I hear a sweet old lady say to someone, "go on honey, it's your turn." And "honey" responds politely that she doesn't want to pray. At this point, I'm intrigued so I open my eyes and look over. She's about my age, black hair, fair skin, late teens, in black yoga pants and two tanks tops as was the trend back then, one was white and over it was a green one. Yes, I was checking her out...sorry.

But anyhow, this goes on for a few more beats and then the lady again urges her to pray. Honey again replies politely that she doesn't want to. A few more awkward seconds and then another man in the group asks her if she's OK, to which she sheepishly responds that's she fine, she just doesn't want to pray. At this point, I begin to get a little pissed. Leave her alone, right? Maybe she has anxiety issues, maybe she's shy. She doesn't want to pray, so what? Just leave it be and move on, right? Well then another guy asks her why she doesn't want to pray and she starts crying. And at this point I'm about to go over there and talk some sense into these people. So the woman who started the whole thing goes over to hug her and comfort her and dude number two that asked why she didn't want to pray goes over and asks again. He says "What's wrong with you? Why don't you want to pray?".......and guys, hand to the Lord on a Bible.....this girl's eyes roll back in her head and she slumps over into the old ladies arms and says, in a voice that curdled my soul then and still gives me goosebumps today, "She does not believe."

This group of people banded together and began praying for her. Dude Number Two who I later found out was the associate pastor to Girlfriend's Dad goes to get Girlfriend's Dad. He shows up and literally talks to this demon and in Jesus' name, casts it out. Immediately, this girl's eyes roll back into her head, she gasps deeply and passes *ahem* the hell out.

In about ten minutes she wakes up and has no recollection of what happened. She remembers having this feeling of dread right before we broke up to start praying but then has a blank until she woke up. While she was asleep several people prayed for her and this one native Inuit woman sang over her the whole time...it was surreal. She commited her life to Christ that evening after waking up.

Several other stories from that weekend that opened my eyes to the fact that indeed, the devil is like a lion, prowling around waiting to devour us.
Small world. I have been to Victory many times, as a volunteer and a camper, it is the largest Christian camp in Alaska. Holy place from all the believers living there. Guy in charge of the camp is now in charge of Christian camp ministry in USA, good friend of mine.

What kinda churches you going to, brother? :laugh:

went to a christian school for three years from 6-9th grade.
Effing wack nuts speaking in tongues, afraid of satan.
This is when Ozzy ozbourne was the devil. and the war on music was in full gear.
I was more afraid of satan than anything else.
Those people were
messed up in soooo many ways.
Been to several churches and got tired of the non proveable BS and contradictions from hypocrites.
I’m leaning more toward this is all a simulation and some sick bastard is pulling the strings laughing.
I need
proof not Bs fantasy talk and stories from proven distortions.

Back
Top Bottom