• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

After days of scanning local repeaters, I have heard almost no activity. The other night I was able to pick up a few SW channels, and I did pick up some traffic over a 50 watt GMRS channel by a couple of mobile units.

I used the website RepeaterBook.com for local repeater frequencies, frequency shifts, and PL codes. Two of the 3 local repeaters I cannot hit - They are only about 4 to 5 miles away. Makes me think they may be OOC. I was able to hit the other close one - a VHF repeater just using 0.2 watts. Then I was able to hit another 3 repeaters that are about 15 to 20 miles away.

Do you know of another site with repeater listings?

After days of scanning local repeaters, I have heard almost no activity. The other night I was able to pick up a few SW channels, and I did pick up some traffic over a 50 watt GMRS channel by a couple of mobile units.

I used the website RepeaterBook.com for local repeater frequencies, frequency shifts, and PL codes. Two of the 3 local repeaters I cannot hit - They are only about 4 to 5 miles away. Makes me think they may be OOC. I was able to hit the other close one - a VHF repeater just using 0.2 watts. Then I was able to hit another 3 repeaters that are about 15 to 20 miles away.

Do you know of another site with repeater listings?
You’re going to be limited with the rubber duck antenna that came with your radio. A mag mount and a large pizza pan would do wonders for your ability to pick up more stuff.
Another alternative is to take a ride with your new HT and see where you have to be to hit some of the other repeaters.

I can hit a repeater in Atlanta, 50 miles away from my house with my FT-897 but not the repeater in Winder which is only 12 miles away. I can hit repeaters in Forsyth County with my Baofeng and a short whip antenna if I step out in the front yard but not from the backyard.

Location, your elevation, the elevation of the repeater, and what’s in between your antenna and that of the repeater are going to make a difference. Remember it’s a HT, not a base station. It is designed to be mobile.

You’re going to be limited with the rubber duck antenna that came with your radio. A mag mount and a large pizza pan would do wonders for your ability to pick up more stuff.
Another alternative is to take a ride with your new HT and see where you have to be to hit some of the other repeaters.

I can hit a repeater in Atlanta, 50 miles away from my house with my FT-897 but not the repeater in Winder which is only 12 miles away. I can hit repeaters in Forsyth County with my Baofeng and a short whip antenna if I step out in the front yard but not from the backyard.

Location, your elevation, the elevation of the repeater, and what’s in between your antenna and that of the repeater are going to make a difference. Remember it’s a HT, not a base station. It is designed to be mobile.
I replaced the rubber duckie with a high gain Diamond antenna. Maybe I will try the setup with a mag mount and pizza pan.

I will drive over to close proximity to a few of the local repeaters and see if they are operating.

After scanning GMRS channels for a few days, I heard several conversations. Not one time did I ever hear a call sign. The FCC's requirement for GMRS call sign identification is ever 15 minutes and at the end.

I wonder what percentage actually have a license.

The Yaesu ht, that I have, is specifically designed for easy modification in order to allow transmission on the GMRS channels and MARS.

HRO, where I purchased the unit, offers to make the modification for $35.

Maybe, I will get the mod performed. I think GMRS license are suppose to be reduced in cost. Most estimates are for that to occur early next year.

There is no test for the GMRS license, and it seems to cover entire extended families. Under those circumstances, it seems like it would be very hard to disseminate FCC operational requirements.

The Yaesu ht, that I have, is specifically designed for easy modification in order to allow transmission on the GMRS channels and MARS.

HRO, where I purchased the unit, offers to make the modification for $35.

Maybe, I will get the mod performed. I think GMRS license are suppose to be reduced in cost. Most estimates are for that to occur early next year.

There is no test for the GMRS license, and it seems to cover entire extended families. Under those circumstances, it seems like it would be very hard to disseminate FCC operational requirements.
I occasionally pick up GMRS conversations when scanning. I'm fairly certain there's some folks in the next neighborhood that use them to chat.

Google the modification to your HT. Most of the time it is an easy code to enter after holding down a certain key while powering on. It‘s normally referred to as an “unlock” code. I did my Yaesu HT in about 30 seconds. I know I’m sounding like a broken record but the $25 Baofengs are already unlocked & will transmit on GMRS & the amateur bands out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom