• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I heard one person trying to call a specific person.

I am a little reluctant to call CQ using a repeater. Is that considered a faux paus?
You can identify yourself and ask for a signal report. If anyone is monitoring it will give you an idea of how well your signal is being received. Kerchunking the repeater is not a good indicator. You can also get out on 146.520 MHz and call CQ. That is the All Call frequency for 2m. Look around for repeater nets in your area. You might need to go mobile to get into one for the time being but it's a good way to meet other HAMs and get an idea of protocol.

Been licensed for over 50 years and have made a lot of lifelong friends on the bands. I'm proud to say that I passed the 20 word per minute code exam back in the day. Still enjoy the hobby very much. It is much easier to get licensed these days, code is no longer a requirement. You take the test one day and get your license sometimes the next day. Great hobby and welcome to the world of amateur radio.

After days of scanning local repeaters, I have heard almost no activity. The other night I was able to pick up a few SW channels, and I did pick up some traffic over a 50 watt GMRS channel by a couple of mobile units.

I used the website RepeaterBook.com for local repeater frequencies, frequency shifts, and PL codes. Two of the 3 local repeaters I cannot hit - They are only about 4 to 5 miles away. Makes me think they may be OOC. I was able to hit the other close one - a VHF repeater just using 0.2 watts. Then I was able to hit another 3 repeaters that are about 15 to 20 miles away.

Do you know of another site with repeater listings?

Back
Top Bottom