• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

Does anyone work VHF SSB? I have made a couple of contacts and for some reason, it fascinates me.
I’ve tinkered with it a bit. The guys I’ve talked to have strongly suggested getting a 2m Yagi versus the vertical I have now. My antennas are in the attic and I don’t really want to start adding motorized, directional antennas outside at this time so I’ve sort of backed off.

I do have a Buddipole and keep meaning to set up some Nancy deck portable with it but think I’ll wait until it’s not quite so hot. :)

I’ve tinkered with it a bit. The guys I’ve talked to have strongly suggested getting a 2m Yagi versus the vertical I have now. My antennas are in the attic and I don’t really want to start adding motorized, directional antennas outside at this time so I’ve sort of backed off.

I do have a Buddipole and keep meaning to set up some Nancy deck portable with it but think I’ll wait until it’s not quite so hot. :)

LOL! As soon as I made my first QSO, I started looking into a Yagi and decided that the whole rotor and pole and all was a little too much right now. I'm just using a J-pole and it does a decent job, maybe out to 20 miles (longest contact so far).
I was thinking of doing a mag loop for portable work, life has me detoured and my HF fun is on hold for now.

LOL! As soon as I made my first QSO, I started looking into a Yagi and decided that the whole rotor and pole and all was a little too much right now. I'm just using a J-pole and it does a decent job, maybe out to 20 miles (longest contact so far).
I was thinking of doing a mag loop for portable work, life has me detoured and my HF fun is on hold for now.

Once you go tower you'll never go back. Nothing beats a rotatable yagi at 60 to 80 feet.

Where is a good place to purchase Ham equipment? I plan to attend a local Ham group meeting a time or two, but I will miss the next meeting and the one after that is a month later.

From what I have seen on the internet, Kenwood, Yaesu, and icom appear to be solid brands. Kenwood may be out of my price range. What do you think?

For my needs, a base station capable of HF, VHF, and UHF would be a possibility. A handheld would be very convenient, but may be very limiting. A mobile might be the ticket even if it never gets mounted in a vehicle.

Where is a good place to purchase Ham equipment? I plan to attend a local Ham group meeting a time or two, but I will miss the next meeting and the one after that is a month later.

From what I have seen on the internet, Kenwood, Yaesu, and icom appear to be solid brands. Kenwood may be out of my price range. What do you think?

For my needs, a base station capable of HF, VHF, and UHF would be a possibility. A handheld would be very convenient, but may be very limiting. A mobile might be the ticket even if it never gets mounted in a vehicle.
Ham Radio Outlet in Chamblee is a good place to start. Two of the tree guys there are pretty snarky and borderline condescending, but they are fairly knowledgeable if you want to buy local.

If you want to purchase online, Ham Radio Outlet, www.hamradio.com
DX Engineering https://www.dxengineering.com/

I’ve got some more link at home I’ll post up for you when I wander my way back.

Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom are the most common and are top quality. I lucked out and got my Yaesu FT-736R (vhf/uhf) and Patcomm 2000 (HF) radios here on the ODT. They came from an estate sale and were still in the box. As the old guys die off more and more radios and gear will be available so I would check EBay, ODT and even Craigslist. Just remember that it might be a gamble unless you know or know someone who can check them out before you buy it.

Back
Top Bottom