• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I just joined the ranks of the licensed and have yet to receive my call sign.

I guess I will start off with a dual band handheld and see where that leads.

I may also get a license and handheld for GMRS.

I am presently not ready to spend the money for a very good mobile or base station. Maybe I will decide to do that after I get some experience under my belt.

Any home station would have to tip toe around the HOA. So my attic would be the only suitable location for an HF antenna.
Here's a good website to visit.
https://www.eham.net/
There is always a lot of forum discussion on stealth antennas and dealing with HOA.
There's a lot of older, gruffy kind of folks there so don't let the discussions turn you off. There are also reviews on every piece of gear and rig that you could find and they have helped me a lot when deciding what gear to "invest" in.
Klif
N5GWU

Hey guys,

I had a relative pass away and his widow gave me a bunch of Ham Radio parts. I'd like to sell them and give here the money. Where would be the best place to advertise them? Also, would any of you be willing to help me identify some of the parts and put a ball park on the pricing? I've attached a few pics for review.
Thanks!

View attachment 3355734 View attachment 3355735 View attachment 3355736 View attachment 3355737 View attachment 3355738 View attachment 3355739 View attachment 3355740 View attachment 3355741
That will be hard to sell. Maybe at a hamfest, but it could take years to move those parts. Not worth a lot, unless an electronics guy finds something in that stack that they absolutely have to have.

I'd try eBay and offer those parts as all or nothing. Start at $.99 and see if someone bites or bids it up.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I just joined the ranks of the licensed and have yet to receive my call sign.

I guess I will start off with a dual band handheld and see where that leads.

I may also get a license and handheld for GMRS.

I am presently not ready to spend the money for a very good mobile or base station. Maybe I will decide to do that after I get some experience under my belt.

Any home station would have to tip toe around the HOA. So my attic would be the only suitable location for an HF antenna.
Same here, but I've gotten away in the past with wire antennas hidden in the trees. Maybe an end-fed multiband antenna? That way you can keep your feedline near the ground and close to the house. Only the wire antenna itself is elevated and hard to see in trees.

Note, I'm only talking about HF. Many VHF/UHF antennas will work fine in an attic.

Same here, but I've gotten away in the past with wire antennas hidden in the trees. Maybe an end-fed multiband antenna? That way you can keep your feedline near the ground and close to the house. Only the wire antenna itself is elevated and hard to see in trees.

Note, I'm only talking about HF. Many VHF/UHF antennas will work fine in an attic.

I’m running a 40m dipole in my attic and have made contacts in NY state and Oklahoma.

Congrats on getting your ticket. I hold a General and never felt the need to go further since I have more frequency spectrum than I can use now. What ticket did you get?

Thanks!

I took the Technician test - Passed it, and took the General test a few minutes later. I was fortunate enough to pass the General test.

Hey guys,

I had a relative pass away and his widow gave me a bunch of Ham Radio parts. I'd like to sell them and give here the money. Where would be the best place to advertise them? Also, would any of you be willing to help me identify some of the parts and put a ball park on the pricing? I've attached a few pics for review.
Thanks!

View attachment 3355734 View attachment 3355735 View attachment 3355736 View attachment 3355737 View attachment 3355738 View attachment 3355739 View attachment 3355740 View attachment 3355741
This stuff will be tough to sell as individual parts. I would list it on Ebay as a lot. The website QRZ.com has a swap meet page where radios & related equipment are posted for sell. That may work as well. Are there any radios or other equipment for sale?

This stuff will be tough to sell as individual parts. I would list it on Ebay as a lot. The website QRZ.com has a swap meet page where radios & related equipment are posted for sell. That may work as well. Are there any radios or other equipment for sale?
Thanks! No radios that I am aware of. She had some tubes, I might go back and get later.

Thanks! No radios that I am aware of. She had some tubes, I might go back and get later.
Old radio tubes, especially in original boxes usually go well. They are used as both replacement parts and as a collectible in their own right. The boxes of other electronic parts might pique the interest of a breadboarder or someone like that but I don't see a whole lot of dollar value there.

I would like to hear your ideas and thoughts about the following.

I am a newbie to amateur radio. I am not sure what I will use a Ham radio for - I presently have zero equipment. I don't get out in the woods anymore. I don't know anyone who uses a Ham radio. My cell phone usually works pretty well for a phone call.

I got interested in getting a license and a radio primarily from a SHTF perspective. But I am still trying to put the puzzle together. I imagine that in a grid down scenario most all repeaters would be down. So a handheld would have pretty limited range and limited usefulness - If I have this wrong please share your perspective. So I assume that a mobile or base would be needed for longer range communications - most mobiles would probably not communicate very far assuming VHF or UHF operation.

So I guess it would come down to a base station with HF capability if I wanted reliable communications over more than about 30 miles.

What am I missing? What do I have wrong?

None of that is “wrong”. Amateur radio has endless possibilities, some depend on the grid, some do not. Most VHF repeaters are not grid dependent. Backup generators for them are common. Hams using backup power is also normal. That’s part of it - being able to communicate during a SHTF scenario - weather emergencies, zombies, whatever. My advice (what worked for me) is contact your local club, talk to those members and get a feel for all that is available. I am fortunate to live in an area with a club that is very active. We do various things to practice our radio skills often. A handheld that will hit your local repeater would be a great start. Listen to others, you will learn a lot about what this is all about. An HF rig will give you access to long distance contacts, but may be useless for short range. PM me if you would like to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom