• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guns you purchased to use..only for them to become too valuable to use.

I bought a Weatherby mark V deluxe with a factory Weatherby scope back in the late 1980s. It was just too beautiful to hunt with. I took it to the range a few times but once I bumped into another gun and put a scratch on it, I sold it very soon afterward. It's just too pretty to subject to the potential damage of dragging it to and from shooting ranges.

433D80E3-6898-4029-9D61-38166B9221B9.jpeg

Wait!! You guys shoot your firearms? ;)

Everything I bought I knew I was going to beat the heck out of I did. I don't own any collector pieces and I don't think I ever have.

Firearms are tools and should be treated as such.

Wait!! You guys shoot your firearms? ;)

Everything I bought I knew I was going to beat the heck out of I did. I don't own any collector pieces and I don't think I ever have.

Firearms are tools and should be treated as such.
I tend to agree and when I no longer feel comfortable with that, it’s time to think about parting with it.

I'm more curious to know what people consider "too valuable to shoot."

I shoot my guns. Inexpensive, expensive. Doesn't matter. They get shot.

If you want to invest, invest into the stock market. Or real estate. Or precious metals. Having a few firearms that go for more than what you paid is not an effective investment strategy.

I own a few that shooting would certainly decrease the value, so I don't. But I didn't buy them with the intention to shoot them. They are inherited. Anything I buy gets shot, if not the same day, quickly.
Hunting rifles I have where the stocks seemed too nice to subject to field use, I simply replaced with synthetic stocks. Should I ever decide to sell, I can return them to their original pristine look in a minute.

I have several guns that have more than tripled in value, but I still fire them. In fact, my EDC is a H&K P7, that I bought over 20 years ago, and my hunting rifle is a 1970 M40 marine corp sniper rifle. I've thought about retiring them to the safe but they're such good guns and I really like them so why??

I have an 1864 Springfield Rifled Musket that is as issued, in the white, not fired that I can tell in anyway. I do not shoot it. I have a very early Colt 9mm Carbine that I was running around shooting PCC with but when I realized how old the Colt was, I put it up and shoot something else now.

I have guns I shoot very little, but none other than the Springfield that I do not shoot. I may shoot that Springfield one day just so I can be the first person to shoot it rather than a booger eatin' Yankee.

Back
Top Bottom