• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Control Statistics from the FBI , hmm

GDAWG1958

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
27   0
Reaction score
i50.tinypic.com_2qdsdh4.jpg

Why is their no outcry to ban or control the ownership of Baseball Bats !

I am doing more reading of the FBI report. I hope I did not post in haste. I will repost once I have looked at everything. I think I will have to print out some pages too hard to follow going back and forth. Thanks

Last edited:
I have spent some time with the FBIs “Crime in The United States 2011” report. Everyone should take a look at it.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011

The first thing I saw was that the CDC and the FBI have different total for Firearm homicides. (CDC 11,101 / FBI 8,583)

The following stats are FBI numbers

The drop in firearms homicides from 2007 to 2011 15.2%. with the biggest drop being 6% in 2008 from 2007. In 2009, 2010 2011 about a 3% per year drop. We all know that gun ownership rose dramatically in 2008. Is there a cause and effect there? I believe so.

The percentage of homicides by firearm has stayed pretty much at 67-68% of total homicides over the 2007 to 2011 time period.

When you look at firearm homicides by state,California is the only state with a 4 digit total. (1220)
Hawaii has the lowest with 1 and very strict gun laws.

The interesting thing is the lowest in the contiguous U.S is Vermont with 4. Vermont has very favorable gun laws. It does not require a permit to carry concealed.

California’s 1220 firearms homicides translates to 1 per 30,895 residents,Vermont's 4 equals 1 per 156,608.

Violent crime, which the FBI defines as Murder/non-negligent homicide, forcible rape, robbery & aggravated assault dropped 18.1% 2007 to 2011.
Murder/ Non-Negligent Homicide -17.4
Forcible Rape -12.4
Robbery -23.3
Aggravated Assault -16.1

Robbery is a premeditated and crime shows the biggest drop. Why did criminals decide against it? Could it be the thought that there are more people carrying guns?

The use of knives down 7%, blunt object 23% and hands, feet 16%. What is that they say about bringing a knife (club, fist) to a gun fight?

I do not have the knowledge to drill deep into these number but it seems to me that

In 2008 when the rise in gun ownership was in the news violent crime rate started dropping at a faster rate than the previous year.
11violentcrimeoffnesefigure.jpg

Violent crime has gone down and gun ownership has gone up.

Strict gun laws does not make for a safer state.

That of the violent crimes listed by the FBI robbery has shown the biggest drop and it is the crime most likely to put a criminal in contact with an armed citizen.

Just something interesting I ran across was in the Justifiable Homicide table. In 2011 two police involved justifiable homicides of a total of 393 were with a knife or cutting instrument. Citizen involved justifiable homicides using a knife or cutting instrument was 46 out of a total of 260. Seems a knife is a valuable part of an Every Day Carry load out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom