• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing up poor, what food do you eat from time to time?

Two things I remember....

First, when I was a very young kid, times were tough, only your father worked back them and your mother stayed home with the kids. My father was laid off from work and when he would go looking for work, my mother would tell us that we had to be careful on what we eat...so while my father was looking for work, we had bread soup for lunch. My mother told us not to tell our father as not to hurt his pride.

Second, while I was going to college I remembered that if I had $2.00, I could go by Taco Bell for lunch, order (2) bean burritos and a med Pepsi for $1.98. Needless to say, back then there were no loose change in my car!!!...it all went for burritos and Pepsi!!!

Still beans and tators here , Mama made something out'a near nothing every night . I didn't know we were "poor" until we were not "poor" anymore LOL . I remember salmon patties being a real treat , she made gravy out of the left over grease and BISCUITS my my we show had it "bad" being "poor"

Sometimes my Brother and I had to take a molasses sandwich to school for lunch, but my Dad always did his best to keep food on the table. I just picked up a can of turnip greens to enjoy by myself. My Wife and Daughter won't touch them.

Sometimes my Brother and I had to take a molasses sandwich to school for lunch, but my Dad always did his best to keep food on the table. I just picked up a can of turnip greens to enjoy by myself. My Wife and Daughter won't touch them.

Need to tell them yuppie girls they dont know what theyre missing. I love some turnip greens with a chopped turnip, some red pepper flakes, and a dab of chow chow. Pot liquor sopped up with some corn bread.

Great now im hungry.

Need to tell them yuppie girls they dont know what theyre missing. I love some turnip greens with a chopped turnip, some red pepper flakes, and a dab of chow chow. Pot liquor sopped up with some corn bread.

Great now im hungry.
Me too. I like to pour a bit of vinegar and Tabasco on my greens. I especially like some chopped turnips mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom