• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing up poor, what food do you eat from time to time?

My mom and dad separated while me and my three siblings were still very young. My mom was a nurse that worked second shift at a nursing home which meant my older sister fed us most nights. We were eating fritters a lot for supper which was flour and water mixed and fried like a pancake. Fried in grease made them even worse but hey we went to bed full.......... most nights! This was in the early and mid 60’s

I can remember eating white bread with seasoning salt. Summer time I would spend with my grandparents, grandma always cleaned out the fridge and always had a jar of home canned pickled beets, love those things still.
We always had fresh vegetables and of course sweet corn in the Land of Lincoln.

Bologna boats, pan fry a slice of bologna until it forms the shape of a cup, then fill it with mash potato's and top with caramelized onions, then cover with cheese..When you have that ready put it in the oven, just to melt the cheese..

Bologna boats, pan fry a slice of bologna until it forms the shape of a cup, then fill it with mash potato's and top with caramelized onions, then cover with cheese..When you have that ready put it in the oven, just to melt the cheese..
My mom did the same,except she sprinkled sugar on the bolonee. ...it makes a syrup. ..no potato or onions or cheese tho

Back
Top Bottom