• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing up poor, what food do you eat from time to time?

Greens = You "can" buy'em washed and ready now. Dump greens , a little piece of salted meat (hog jowl,fatBack,bacon,ham) , table spoon of salt and pepper , and a tea spoon of sugar in a pot . Boil lightly for 6 hours and enjoy . My Wife tries to make me cook'em outside now haha she don't like the smell (I don't know what's wrong with her)

Greens = You "can" buy'em washed and ready now. Dump greens , a little piece of salted meat (hog jowl,fatBack,bacon,ham) , table spoon of salt and pepper , and a tea spoon of sugar in a pot . Boil lightly for 6 hours and enjoy . My Wife tries to make me cook'em outside now haha she don't like the smell (I don't know what's wrong with her)

Here's mine. Ill try to give some guesstaments of measurements... i dont measure **** when i cook.

Buy twice as many bundles as you think will be "enough."

In a big pot, brown up a slab of bacon, add greens, Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (1 teaspoon ish), 1/2 cup ish white or apple cider vinegar, Simmer to light boil til tender (5-6 hours).

Enjoy with some cornbread, chow chow, and hot sauce

Here's mine. Ill try to give some guesstaments of measurements... i dont measure **** when i cook.

Buy twice as many bundles as you think will be "enough."

In a big pot, brown up a slab of bacon, add greens, Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (1 teaspoon ish), 1/2 cup ish white or apple cider vinegar, Simmer to light boil til tender (5-6 hours).

Enjoy with some cornbread, chow chow, and hot sauce
Do you think they stink when cooking? I don't get it? Maybe it is me?

On the weekends as a kid I worked on a dive boat helping out and they let me stay in a one bedroom cabin on the dock..Many times in the evening I would fish in the lagoon and eat snapper, dive for lobster, oysters and loved blue crabs. My childhood was an adventure back then, even worked one summer at Flamingo park in the everglades..Met many cool people there good memories! Then the sea was my food market..Hard times at home, I lived for the weekends and summer..John Penny camp was a great playground..Now I know why my father, as he passed away in my arms apologized. It took many years later to understand that he regretted not spending time with me. I made sure the my Son would have the greatest childhood possible, I could provide...Damn I am off here for awhile, spend all the time you can with your kids friends..

k
Man you need to find you a good soul food restaurant and get you some greens. Can greens are a poor excuse for greens. Maybe fix you a mess this weekend.
For sure! My Wife's Mother used to fix them from fresh, but She doesn't cook anymore. The canned greens I got are branded "Glory" and are the closest tasting to fresh I have ever had.

Back
Top Bottom