• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Grill advise

Stop kidding yourself and get a BGE. Yesterday I smoked a Boston butt for 10hrs, then did mac cheese, then grilled sliced squash and zucchini from the garden, and while we were eating I baked brownies ALL on the BGE. Never thought about turning on the oven and heating up my house. You get what you pay for.
I really don't get all the hype around the BGE, I had one for a few years, sold it and went back to the kettle grill. For the type of cooking I do, it works just as good as the BGE...but I don't bake so...

For me, the advantage of the egg is that I can literally cook anything on it and it all comes out perfect. I have an adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store that allows me to cook above the felt line. Makes a world of difference. My kids are pretty excited about doing pizza tomorrow night!

For me, the advantage of the egg is that I can literally cook anything on it and it all comes out perfect. I have an adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store that allows me to cook above the felt line. Makes a world of difference. My kids are pretty excited about doing pizza tomorrow night!
My buddy has one of those in his, never asked what he used it for. They are definitely versatile, I'll give you that :D

There are just so many options when cooking on the egg. I even use my cast iron skillet from time to time. A lot of options that might not be on your mind today, but 2-3, 5 years from now you may want to try.

Another huge plus is its efficiency. I started my egg yesterday at 6:30am and cooked on it until 7:15pm. I never once had to add lump and held whatever temp I wanted it to all day from butt to brownie. There is plenty of lump left where I'll prob do burgers and brats tonight before we do pizza tomorrow and I won't have to add a single lump.

I need a new propane grill too. I have a Weber, but it doesn't get remotely hot enough unless I put a grate down on the radiating elements, and there are safety issues with that. In the normal configuration, it can't get hot enough to properly sear the meat (like a steakhouse).

Any suggestions on a propane grill that gets charcoal hot?
There is a safety feature in the grill that checks to see if the burners are in good order. The old grills before the safety you could leave the burner knobs on and just open the gas valve on the tank and light it. Then when finished turn off the tank valve, never turning the grill knobs. No can do now. You are now supposed to have the grill knobs in the off position, turn on the tank gas valve for 10-20 seconds to build pressure against the regulator. This will defeat the safety. Turn on grill knobs and light. Note after I tripped the safety I had to do this a couple times, the last time I let pressure build for a couple minutes to get the safety off. Since then then 10 seconds works every time. I almost replaced my 1 year old grill before I learned of this safety. Give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom