• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Generac 16kw, auto transfer, runs the whole house, The Electric company that installed it comes out once a year and changes oil, filter and goes through it thoroughly. It does a self check of itself once a week and runs for five minutes or so. I have had it for two years with no problems at all. The tank you see is 300 gallons and I haven't filled it since the unit was installed. The Generator has around thirteen hours on it.
They were here all day to install it. Very neat installation. Total costs was around $7k. If I sold the house that would be a good incentive to buy.
I had it installed in this location because the hedge muffles the sound and the little fence keeps it hidden from the street. It isn't that loud to begin with.
I'm sure it would run for a few days, especially if I kept the load at a minimum.
I highly recommend the system. When I purchased it ,they gave me a ten year warranty.

I looked at the specs on some of Kohler's generators a 12kw and a 20kw. I looked at run times (RT) at different power levels with LPG fuel. I had guessed high on the run times for 500 gallons of propane. I assumed that a 500 gal propane tank could be filled to 500 gal. I see that usually 400 gallons is considered full. So the table below is based on 500 gallons of propane and not a 500 gal tank. to get the run time for a 500 gallon tank, multiple the listed run times by 80%.

Kohler.png

I paid about $300 to have an electrician install a generator switch to my main panel, add a 220 outlet on the exterior and cut me about 30 ft heavy duty cord with double male connectors. See pics above.

$300???? Can you FWD me the name/number of the electrician who did this? I'd love to have my house done as well. Been running a darn extension cord.

$2 when I filled 3 weeks ago but 500 gallon tanks are only filled to 400 gallons to allow expansion

That's about what we're paying now for truck delivery to fill our 500 gallon tank. If you take your 20lb. cylinders to a hardware or other retail location, it's typical about $3/gallon.

Back
Top Bottom