• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Hopefully won't need it and mine turns out to be a huge, wasted expense :thumb:

I bought my first generator back before 1999 ended and the dreaded year 2000. I was in IT at Georgia Power/Southern Company at the time and they had us concerned that most of our software would crash because it couldn't handle a year date as 00 and all those plants would shutdown. So I bought a generator in case it happened.

Long story short, it was 8 years before I actually needed it. LMAO Kinda like a type of rabbits foot. But the Generac I currently have has been called into service several times.

I was fairly well situated for this last outage due to Zeta. I did have to move some frozen items to my cousin's house, as he has a permanent Generac set up and his chest freezer was empty. I just bought a Sportsman 4000, so I'm good now. I'm also on gas. Even when power is out and central heat is down, the water heater and a small gas wall heater still operate. Range is electric, so I cooked on my gas grill that also has a single burner eye.

Nostalgia kicked in this time though. During the outage I broke out the two working oil lamps I have. Talk about making the house feel all warm and cozy. I'm on a roll with it, too. Dad saved my grandmother's 1930-1950s Aladdin Model B mantle lamp. It had been collecting dust since she died in the early 90s. I'm now on a mission to restore it. It's going to take about $150 to bring it completely back using the existing brass, and a new shade & support, chimney, mantle, and wick, but it's going to be sweet when it's finished.

It's funny, but the older I get, the more I miss the past.

Anyone use dual fuel generators? Propane/Gas? How long does a tank of grill propane last?
I have a Generac 5500LP (propane only). It has 6250 surge, 5500 continuous. With a load of 2 freezers, 2 fridges, some lights, some TV, a 20 lb grill cylinder will last 10-12 hours. It is not large enough to run an 3.5 ton AC unit.

Check out the dual fuel kits from Motor snorkel. Put one on my Champion 8750 and it's jam-up!
Propane doesn't go bad like gasoline does. Yes, you lose a bit of generator efficiency but totally worth it.

And propane burns much cleaner. If you use gasoline be prepared to use gas stabilizer and still change out the gas every 2 years or so.

I have a Sportsman 2,000 watt generator that I have had for 7 years I have used it several times for a total about 9 hours. It has always started with one or 2 pulls and has been 100% reliable--not bad for a $175 generator. I have always used non-ethanol gas with Stabil and change the oil annually.

I have a Sportsman 2,000 watt generator that I have had for 7 years I have used it several times for a total about 9 hours. It has always started with one or 2 pulls and has been 100% reliable--not bad for a $175 generator. I have always used non-ethanol gas with Stabil and change the oil annually.

Besides the non-ethanol gas and regular oil changes. I have always done with my generators is run them monthly. And hook up a light or some other load to it so you can be sure it is making juice.

Black Friday deals.

Hoping that using propane is easier than storing and treating gasoline. 4000 watt Only $289

The little one is incredibly quiet and was only $179...1000 watt

AA35249F-C7DC-4A4E-8C13-5A8085C3EFD7.jpeg C63CDFF4-89BB-4ECB-8FDA-3018DDCC2CD7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom