• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Anyone use dual fuel generators? Propane/Gas? How long does a tank of grill propane last?

I use a portable dual fuel generator. It’s 9KW peak, 7KW running on gas, and 8.1KW peak, 6.3KW running on LP. We use LP for our stove, so I have a 250 gallon tank outside. I have a connector from that line that I use for my generator. I’ve lived in my house for nearly 3 years and filled the tank when I moved in, and filled it back in May, in case sh*t got crazy with COVID. I’m now at 70% even after running my generator for 2 days after that last hurricane came through and they only fill them to 80% because of expansion. It powers my HVAC and refrigerator.
C884CC0F-A24A-4C37-A90F-2147CE47C53F.jpeg
I’m looking for a 12KW now.

I use a portable dual fuel generator. It’s 9KW peak, 7KW running on gas, and 8.1KW peak, 6.3KW running on LP. We use LP for our stove, so I have a 250 gallon tank outside. I have a connector from that line that I use for my generator. I’ve lived in my house for nearly 3 years and filled the tank when I moved in, and filled it back in May, in case sh*t got crazy with COVID. I’m now at 70% even after running my generator for 2 days after that last hurricane came through and they only fill them to 80% because of expansion. It powers my HVAC and refrigerator. View attachment 2941431 I’m looking for a 12KW now.
Are you able to run anything else besides HVAC and refrigerator on this one? What else are you looking to power with a 12KW that this one won't power?

I only have the kitchen, minus the dishwasher, hvac, and we’ll pump hooked up. If I had 12KW, I could hook up the majority of my house.

That's the issue I have. My Generac 6500 with 8125 surge won't reliably start my AC/Heat pump. Does fine for everything else. But, in cold weather I have a Buck fireplace insert that will heat most of my house once it's really going. So no worries about heat.

Yeah, we use a gas fireplace to keep us warm if needed. Our power was out from 4-830 this morning, but we didn’t even need to start the fire.

Generac 16kw, auto transfer, runs the whole house, The Electric company that installed it comes out once a year and changes oil, filter and goes through it thoroughly. It does a self check of itself once a week and runs for five minutes or so. I have had it for two years with no problems at all. The tank you see is 300 gallons and I haven't filled it since the unit was installed. The Generator has around thirteen hours on it.
They were here all day to install it. Very neat installation. Total costs was around $7k. If I sold the house that would be a good incentive to buy.
I had it installed in this location because the hedge muffles the sound and the little fence keeps it hidden from the street. It isn't that loud to begin with.
I'm sure it would run for a few days, especially if I kept the load at a minimum.
I highly recommend the system. When I purchased it ,they gave me a ten year warranty.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could run almost a month on that amount of fuel at powering just essential loads.

I am so thankful this thread is raising awareness about generators and controlling your own circumstances a little bit when Mother Nature wreaks havoc on our great state .

It doesn't take long for things to get primitive when the electricity is off for an extended period. All this fancy technology we use is not much better than doorstops without juice.

Back
Top Bottom