• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

For coffee...you can use your regular coffee maker with the power out, of if you are worried about the power draw, as long as you have the ability to heat water. Just pour hot water into the filter basket (slowly). Same thing your coffee maker does with electricity. Or buy a $20 stove top percolator.

For coffee...you can use your regular coffee maker with the power out, of if you are worried about the power draw, as long as you have the ability to heat water. Just pour hot water into the filter basket (slowly). Same thing your coffee maker does with electricity. Or buy a $20 stove top percolator.
Really Smart.

lol, got the generator all up and running on Friday and now this morning I am already running on it. Power outage in Dawsonville this morning until at least 1pm they are saying.

kinda excited I get to actually use it already.

GNE.jpg

I lived in Florida for a while, long enough to experience several hurricanes. Generators really go through a lot of gas in a week and few stations were open with power for the pumps. Gasoline was the biggest problem and you know this ethanol stuff goes stale pretty quick

I lived in Florida for a while, long enough to experience several hurricanes. Generators really go through a lot of gas in a week and few stations were open with power for the pumps. Gasoline was the biggest problem

For an extended outage, fuel IS THE BIG DEAL. Generators are great for short outages or even a couple of weeks if you have a large propane tank. But eventually the fuel is gone even if you load shed and run only essential loads a few hours every day. That is why for an extended grid-down scenario nothing comes close to a well designed, installed, and maintained solar system.

I lived near Charleston SC when Hugo hit in 89, we were without power for 2 weeks. With the wife's blessing, I bought a 17kw whole house generator, with an automatic switch, so that would never happen again. Had it drop shipped from www.norwall.com, and installed it myself. Less than $4,000, never had to worry about power outages again. When we sold the house, buyer didn't want to pay the extra, so brought with me and installed it at the new house, still runs fine 15 years later. It weighed about 500 lbs, but I am a big guy and managed it by myself, 2 people would be smarter. Directions make it easy to hook up, if you are even a little technically handy.

Back
Top Bottom