• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ford vs Chevy Tug of War

Ford diesels are the biggest joke on the road. Total junk.
Well as far as I know Ford didn't build the 7.3 non turbo. Navistar\ International built that. The one that replaced it which I think was the 6.9 was also a Navistar engine.

Chevy\ GM got the Duramax engine from Isuzu. And I'm not complaining here. At least Isuzu can do one thing good. I've known one guy with a low mile Duramax that needed a transmission and another one that needed a very expensive rear end. At the same time the Super Duty trucks did have their share of recalls. It's apples and oranges. All the seriious diesel and towing guys I know like the Dodge Cummins trucks. But I've looked up more than one transmission on those trucks when I worked at an auto salvage. And I'm talking about trucks from 08 to 10.

So... basically until Toyota gets into one ton diesel dually fleet trucks it looks like you will have to pick your favorite American brand and decide which shortcoming you can deal with best.
And by the way the F series is still the number one selling truck of all time AND... It's the vehicle more millionaires drive than any other. So that tells you that the rich smart guys know what really works.

Yeah I agree on the not stock vehicle part. But I'd still go with Ford every time especially for trucks ànd especially after the 09 bailout. I don't wanna support Government Motors.
Need to do your research. Ford took bailout money also. 5.9 billion to be exact.

Last edited:
I can only afford to drive old beat up high mileage trucks, so I have to drive Cheverolets cause I need something dependable. Maybe one day when I have money and can by new I'll try a Ford.

Yeah I agree on the not stock vehicle part. But I'd still go with Ford every time especially for trucks ànd especially after the 09 bailout. I don't wanna support Government Motors.
From the way fords hold up, they should have taken the money and hired a few chevy engineers..

Need to do your research. Ford took bailout money also. 5.9 billion to be exact.
Not saying you're wrong but I recall all three companies sending their CEOs to the meeting and the Ford CEO refusing to go back. I worked at a Ford lot in 06 and had to watch a video called The Way Forward in which they told how Ford would cut losses and get back to profitability. The first step was to dump the loser brands that were a drag on the brand like Jaguar and Land Rover. And admittedly closing some plants and moving production to other facilities was a part of the plan.
Again, I'm not claiming to be 100% right here but I don't recall Ford wanting to take part in the big bailout. And it could be that the country is wrong but lots of folks recall it the same way. Because previous hardcore GM owners went with Ford after 09.
Really, the way I recall it is that the three CEOs flew down in corporate jets and the Regime gave them a ration of **** for flying in on private jets while the Obama's fly around on a tax payer funded public jet. And the Ford CEO went back to Dearborn and said that they didn't need the money THAT bad. And I wouldn't blame him at all.

But the fact is that none of the big three would have these type of problems if it were for the parasite known as the UAW.

Last edited:
From the way fords hold up, they should have taken the money and hired a few chevy engineers..
My landlord has an 01 Z71 that has over 200 showing. I will be the first to admit that it will pull most anything you want it to. It has been a good truck no doubt. But its had more than o e fuel pump and GM fuel pump are crazy expensive. And it has an instrument cluster with every single light lit up. Granted that's a recall issue that he could have gotten fixed. And the interior on the truck is done and has been done for about 5 years.
GM HAS had some drivetrains that worked over the years. The 4.3 comes to mind. I've owned 3 of them. They keep going. But every morning when you first start them up you get a panicked feeling because they sound like a rod is going through the oil pan. Oh and the fuel mileage sucks ass! But they do keep going. And so does the Ford 4.0 and the 5.0 and the 300 inline 6.
I'm not a GM hater ( at least before 09) I just prefer Fords

Speaking from experience I freaking hate Chevy vehicles, I've owned several ford's, several dodges, several Chevy, a Nissan, Toyota, and wife has a honda. Never once did any of my Fords, Dodges, Toyota or Honda leave me walking ( even tho the 13 Accord is a pos) I've I had more tranny problem and engine problems out of my pos Chevys with sub 100k miles than anything and with the with the half with **** ups at Chevy build their **** they can suck a fat one before I'll buy another. Yes Fords diesel line has had its problems but that was Navistar ****, let's not forget about GM's diesel before they got duramax to build their engines.

Back
Top Bottom