• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

Might as well throw my two cents into the mix.

To me, the beauty of a shotgun is that for $200, you can get a simple, reliable, powerful firearm. It looks less offensive than an AR or even a handgun to non gun people. Lots of ammo types and devastating power at “inside a home” ranges.

That said, I prefer an AR for all defensive scenarios but mainly because I have one. I’d rather someone have a shotty than nothing and most people are more likely to spend the $200 than the $500+ for a decent carbine.

Agreed . Something about a 5906 that says I may be old but son I’ll still throw down. It’s yet to ever skip a beat .
View attachment 2324824

My Dad has carried one of these for at least 25 years. Great gun.

I grew up with a shotgun in my hands. Literally. I've killed almost any animal that walks or crawls through the Ga woods, fields, and swamps with a shotgun. Running, flying, whatever...Obviously none of those animals were inside my house, but I feel real comfortable grabbing a shotgun if some dumb ass decides to invite himself in....

Or an AK. Those work well too.

By stress, I am specifically speaking of being an unwilling participant in a deadly force encounter.

Auditory exclusion is a form of temporary hearing loss that occurs under high stress. It is related to tunnel vision and "the slowing of time in the mind". The phenomenon is discussed in studies on LEOs and military.

Auditory exclusion happens as a physiological side effect of increased heart rate. When the heart rate approaches roughly 175 beats per minute, the sympathetic nervous system is activated enough that the brain reduces the amount of attention it pays to hearing in order to focus on sight. Auditory exclusion only occurs when the increase in heart rate is caused by hormonal changes, and will not occur if an individual is voluntarily participating in an intense form of exercise.

By stress, I am specifically speaking of being an unwilling participant in a deadly force encounter.

Auditory exclusion is a form of temporary hearing loss that occurs under high stress. It is related to tunnel vision and "the slowing of time in the mind". The phenomenon is discussed in studies on LEOs and military.

Auditory exclusion happens as a physiological side effect of increased heart rate. When the heart rate approaches roughly 175 beats per minute, the sympathetic nervous system is activated enough that the brain reduces the amount of attention it pays to hearing in order to focus on sight. Auditory exclusion only occurs when the increase in heart rate is caused by hormonal changes, and will not occur if an individual is voluntarily participating in an intense form of exercise.
Even though your brain may not register the sound of a gunshot or shotgun blast during a situation like this, the dB level and pure sound pressure is still damaging your hearing though, correct?

Even though your brain may not register the sound of a gunshot or shotgun blast during a situation like this, the dB level and pure sound pressure is still damaging your hearing though, correct?

Audditory exclusion is performed in the brain, not in the ears themselves. Though your brain isn’t accepting the audio data being collected, your ears are still collecting it. It’s a filtering mechanism, where the brain decides what’s unimportant and ignores that to concentrate on what is important.

Since the physical parts of the ears are still functioning, they can be damaged by high sound levels just as they would under high sound pressure levels in a non-stressful environment. The tympanic membrane and the hairs of the cochlea can still be affected by gunfire in a high stress environment.

Am I the only one who thinks a shotgun is quieter than a handgun or rifle? I mean, if there’s a threat, the last thing I’m worried about is my hearing afterwards but I’d think a shotgun would be LESS damaging than other options? Way less concussion it seems.

Back
Top Bottom