• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

Am I the only one who thinks a shotgun is quieter than a handgun or rifle? I mean, if there’s a threat, the last thing I’m worried about it my hearing afterwards but I’d think a shotgun would be LESS damaging than other options? Way less concussion it seems.

Definitely less than carbine/rifle rounds, when used in a similar-sized package. The muzzle of an 18.5” shotgun puts the noisy end further from your ears than a handgun.

I’m less worried about my hearing in the years afterwards than I am about my life during. Without extenuating circumstances, no professional would choose a handgun over a long gun. By handgun, I mean an actual handgun in a handgun caliber and not an AR or AK pistol chambered for a carbine/rifle round.

-More accurate/easier to shoot accurately. Longer sight radius, 3 solid points of contact that are further from each other which equals greater stability, etc.

- More effective caliber. Even if it’s a pistol caliber, the longer barrel = greater velocity = greater energy.

-Easier to deploy with lights and optics. Lights are great positively ID’ing the threat, and optics like a RDS are quicker to acquire and easier to see in lowlight.

As far back as the Old West, when gunfighters knew they were going into harm’s way they grabbed a shotgun/carbine/rifle. Col. Jeff Cooper, Clint Smith, etc. all agreed.

Definitely less than carbine/rifle rounds, when used in a similar-sized package. The muzzle of an 18.5” shotgun puts the noisy end further from your ears than a handgun.

I’m less worried about my hearing in the years afterwards than I am about my life during. Without extenuating circumstances, no professional would choose a handgun over a long gun. By handgun, I mean an actual handgun in a handgun caliber and not an AR or AK pistol chambered for a carbine/rifle round.

-More accurate/easier to shoot accurately. Longer sight radius, 3 solid points of contact that are further from each other which equals greater stability, etc.

- More effective caliber. Even if it’s a pistol caliber, the longer barrel = greater velocity = greater energy.

-Easier to deploy with lights and optics. Lights are great positively ID’ing the threat, and optics like a RDS are quicker to acquire and easier to see in lowlight.

As far back as the Old West, when gunfighters knew they were going into harm’s way they grabbed a shotgun/carbine/rifle. Col. Jeff Cooper, Clint Smith, etc. all agreed.

Outstanding post. I may not be an expert, but I agree with those guys too. I will use a pistol when it is the only thing available, like when I am carrying in public, but in my own castle? Yeah...They get the hallway howitzer. BOOM.

By stress, I am specifically speaking of being an unwilling participant in a deadly force encounter.

Auditory exclusion is a form of temporary hearing loss that occurs under high stress. It is related to tunnel vision and "the slowing of time in the mind". The phenomenon is discussed in studies on LEOs and military.

Auditory exclusion happens as a physiological side effect of increased heart rate. When the heart rate approaches roughly 175 beats per minute, the sympathetic nervous system is activated enough that the brain reduces the amount of attention it pays to hearing in order to focus on sight. Auditory exclusion only occurs when the increase in heart rate is caused by hormonal changes, and will not occur if an individual is voluntarily participating in an intense form of exercise.

well said CmShoot, guys I can personally attest to this!

This info should be a sticky

I’ve been thinking about a red dot on my 590A1 ???

what do y’all think ???

I'm certainly no "Expert", but I have been shooting Shotguns at game and at clay targets over 40 years, with some success at both...My experience tells me to use what you're used to--In other words, if you've done a lot of conventional shotgunning with a Vent Rib with Bead Sight, use that--If you shoot a lot of USPSA with a RDS on your Blaster, use an RDS that's similar to that on your USPSA Blaster...

What you DON'T WANT TO DO is to CHANGE to an UNFAMILIAR SYSTEM on a Gun that you might end up using in a real SD situation, no matter how much better the new/unfamiliar system might be "In Theory"...

Back
Top Bottom