• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

I'm certainly no "Expert", but I have been shooting Shotguns at game and at clay targets over 40 years, with some success at both...My experience tells me to use what you're used to--In other words, if you've done a lot of conventional shotgunning with a Vent Rib with Bead Sight, use that--If you shoot a lot of USPSA with a RDS on your Blaster, use an RDS that's similar to that on your USPSA Blaster...

What you DON'T WANT TO DO is to CHANGE to an UNFAMILIAR SYSTEM on a Gun that you might end up using in a real SD situation, no matter how much better the new/unfamiliar system might be "In Theory"...
Completely agree. Way too many people think training is about teaching your brain how to use a weapon. That is only the beginning of training. What the real goal should be is to teach your body how to use the weapon without having to think about it at all. Every time you change a platform or introduce a new one, that process has to happen all over again to achieve real skill with it.

I own a revolver for hunting. Every other handgun I own is a Glock. Not because I think they are the only handgun for SD, but because I can pick up any one of them and my body programming applies.

1. No idea how it patterned before. It had a 12” barrel on it, I ordered the 14” and had all the work done before I installed it. It patterns much better than the unmodified 12” barrel, but the 14” is Modified and the 12” is Cylinder.

2. No idea, but I plan on checking that out. In theory, with the way the barrel work is supposed to effect the shot itself, it should show MORE of a beneficial difference with a faster load than it does with low recoil loads.

3. The work was on the back end of the barrel, so the Modified choke should have stayed the same. I’ll measure it when I get a chance.

If you had your barrel backbored, your choke will be "tighter"

like the author of that article, I am disappointed that 20 gauge buckshot rounds do not come in 00 shot size. The largest I can find now is #3 Buck, although 15 years ago I could find #2 buckshot in a 3 inch, 20 gauge shell.

A few years ago I tested penetration in my 20 bore #3 buckshot loads, shooting soft pine lumber in my backyard. The little .26 caliber lead balls only penetrated about 1.5 inches deep into the wood.
That was only 1/3 of the penetration my compact 9 mm pistol gave me.

I keep no. 4/0 buck in my guns. It's hard to find but it responds to chokes better than 99.

I don't know about 20 ga. and no. 3, bit 12 ga. no.4/0 will penetrate the chest cavity of deer at 10 yds.. in a massive way.

BTW that guy in the video is really slow getting off that second shot.

Anyone: Hey Radar do you want to get your barrel backbored so your choke will be tighter?

Me:

tenor (10).gif

Yep, that’s one of the reasons that I did it. With backboring, you get less deformation of the shot. It doesn’t actually effect the choke constriction at the end of the muzzle, but it helps eliminate the fliers that open up shot groups. Fliers are oftentimes caused by shot that was deformed as the cup entered the forcing cone, so some of the shot isn’t round anymore. When they ain’t round, they don’t fly as straight, and can end up as fliers.

Back
Top Bottom