• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anybody carry Liberty Civil Defense 9mm +p? 2,000+ fps

I would suggest you try them in smaller lighter carry guns first.

Way too snappy in my P365 and Hellcat, hard to make a second shot in a reasonable time compared to a 1100 fps ish 124 gr JHP for me.

Unmanageable in my pocket 380's for me.

Your mileage may vary.

If weight is an issue, try some aluminum cased JHP's, they are noticeably lighter than their brass counterparts.
Weight is no issue for me. It is just wild that a full magazine feels almost empty because they are so lightweight.

Full disclosure, I’ve never fired them out of a smaller handgun than my G19.

I use then in my 40's, loud as hell but after seeing all the test footage online, it frightens me to think of being shot by one, so that's what I use it in my carry guns,

Reactions: MRH
14.6 grs of Hs-6 for the 10mm and 8.1 grs of autocomp from the factory for the 9mm, or 8.4 grs of cfe pistol gets you a hot load that works. Ymmmv, just use that as reference and do your own work up. American reloading had the projectiles awhile ago. If you read a little about them, they have a solid base that gets to 18 inches in the ballistic gel after the expansion. So you have a massive wound and then a disk that continues tumbling on.

Loud as hell, they'll ruin your vision with the muzzle flash. But they're great. Devastating in gel, and almost certainly really effective in meat.

I have them in one of my pocket pistols. At 9mm, they're still quite manageable.

Lehigh defence sells 68 gr solid copper projectiles that I have loaded. With N320 there is not a lot of flash. The recoil does seem a little different but not a lot more than 124s. I think it would be devastating on flesh up close out if a pcc. I read 2200 is needed to get rifle like damage. I don't think it will be easy to get 2200 out of a compact pistol. Probably doable out if a 4.5 to 5.0 inch gun.

I am NOT saying that this ammunition is not impressive, especially in gel. However, I think that the major player in handguns is reaching something that will cause rapid incapacitation. I think the only surefire guarantee of that is either cranium or spinal column. Even a heart shot may be fatal, but may allow the bad guy to live long enough to return the favor. Even a collapsed lung is not instantly incapacitating. Remember, the goal is not necessarily causing a fatal wound; the goal is to rapidly stop whatever they're doing that made you need to shoot them.

So, with that said I believe that lightweight, high velocity (for handgun) rounds aren't the best choice. I think getting good expansion with deeper penetration is better. Good expansion to maximize damage and to help with accuracy, since you really want to hit the spinal column and expanded projectiles help, and good penetration because the spinal column is behind the breastbone, pecs, and heart. And more and more often, a sizeable thickness of fat.

So I will be carrying "standard" weight rounds.

Note that in the linked article they found the velocity for hydrostatic shock in game animals to be around 2600 fps. I don't know of any handgun ammo capable of that.

Effective Game Killing

But if you do choose to use these lightweight, high velocity rounds, note that your point of impact may change A LOT from your practice ammo. So make sure you shoot a group or two to see where it's going relative to the sights.

And either way, I think that in a gunfight the first person to get a meaningful hit on the other guy usually comes out ahead, regardless of ammunition or caliber.

Back
Top Bottom