• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Define "Lowball"

There is the "retail" seller.

There is the "negotiator".

And there is the "fireworks" seller.

Number 1 thinks long and hard about what they want for their item and prices it as such with no room for negotiation and just wants the transaction "over with".

Number 2 prices their item a little higher so there is room for negotiation if they meet a Number 2 buyer. Negotiation ensues and deal happens or not. #2 likes the back and forth of negotiations.

Number 3 throws in something free with the deal like a fireworks stand does to make the buyer feel like they received something for free. Who doesn't like free?

Conflict arises with Number 2 tries to buy from Number 1. Number 2 wants to negotiate (lowball) and number one gets the butt hurt.

When #1 buys from #2, they usually pay too much.

What is a "Lowball" offer to you? 5% off? 10% off? 25% off? 50% off? Other?

Do you "Lowball"? What about when you want an item but think the price is inflated? Do you just move on or do you offer "Lowball" at what you think it is worth?
I PERSONALLY wouldn't offer less than maybe 20% of asking if I thought it was over priced and was something I really wanted. Beyond that and I assume me and the seller are just too far off to waste each other's time. I'm always amazed when someone tells me they bought something used for half of the what the buyer was asking. I get some enjoy "the game" on boths sides of the equation, I don't. But I don't get offended fi someone offers me something I consider too low of a price even though I generally list what I think is fair and hold firm. I do get annoyed when they lie however.
Let's say my firm listing price is $500.
Playa: "$350 is the absolute most I can pay, but I really like it."
Me: "No thanks."
Playa: "OK, $400 is really the top dollar but I'll need to move a few things around."
Me. "No thanks, I'm firm on price, it's fair."
Playa: "OK, $436.17 but I'll have to stop by the plasma bank on the way, can you meet me there? I may be too woozie to drive afterwards."

I low ball all the time. People low ball me all the time as well. The only time I don't low ball is when I really want your item. I want so many things on here that if I didn't low ball I would be living on the streets. Granted, with cool guns.

Back
Top Bottom