• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dad's Water Damaged Colt!!!

OBTW, RamRoddoc, the original grips were a smooth dark-brown, plastic with a 'thumb-rest'.

Many purists would not care for the appearance. I could easily agree, but functionally, they worked great for me.

As an aside, I went to the Isaac Walton Gun Range during lunch hour with a friend, and we ate sandwiches as we fired.
The range was a measured 25 yards, the targets were empty .410 Shotshell Hulls, sitting on old rail-road ties.
With a 'standing, two hand hold' I could whack 10 out of 10 hulls.
My friend Rob, a great prankster, set up another set of targets, and anchored one hull so it 'could not be downed'.
I shot it through the center of the brass base, and was amazed when it did not fall.
We walked down to inspect the phenomenon, and he was laughing the whole time.

I tried this same thing later with other Fine .22s, a Smith 41, and a few Ruger Mark IIs, but they just could not equal that fine Colt Woodsman !

OBTW, RamRoddoc, the original grips were a smooth dark-brown, plastic with a 'thumb-rest'.

Many purists would not care for the appearance. I could easily agree, but functionally, they worked great for me.

As an aside, I went to the Isaac Walton Gun Range during lunch hour with a friend, and we ate sandwiches as we fired.
The range was a measured 25 yards, the targets were empty .410 Shotshell Hulls, sitting on old rail-road ties.
With a 'standing, two hand hold' I could whack 10 out of 10 hulls.
My friend Rob, a great prankster, set up another set of targets, and anchored one hull so it 'could not be downed'.

These are like the original Colt grips. They are real nice but I have yet to see anyone who wants to sell a pair

i40.tinypic.com_2504b51.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_2cr7ygx.jpg

Here are a few choices of what one can actually buy currently. The repo-Colt grips look cheesy and cheap and I just can find it in me to put these on a fine firearm. They are a cheap fix and if I had a boogered up one and just need a cheap pair then they would do fine.

Everyone can vote for which pair they would choose.

Grips #1
i40.tinypic.com_5x0t2r.jpg

Grips #2
??? What the?
Grips #3
i39.tinypic.com_f6lgm.jpg

Grips #4 (come in black or brown)
i40.tinypic.com_4lq5n7.jpg

Rob was a prankster for sure but at least he did NOT own a .44 Magnum derringer. Birds of a feather you know!

Last edited:
Not sure I got the numbers matched up right. The plastic Lawman 380 set looks...well...plastic. The decorated scrolled flowers, etc. looks more like a lady's umbrella handle than grips on a fine old gun. That leaves the darker plainer brown wood grips. My choice.

These are like the original Colt grips. They are real nice but I have yet to see anyone who wants to sell a pair

i40.tinypic.com_2504b51.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_2cr7ygx.jpg

Here are a few choices of what one can actually buy currently. The repo-Colt grips look cheesy and cheap and I just can find it in me to put these on a fine firearm. They are a cheap fix and if I had a boogered up one and just need a cheap pair then they would do fine.

Everyone can vote for which pair they would choose.

Grips #1
i40.tinypic.com_5x0t2r.jpg

Grips #2
i42.tinypic.com_28c3bdt.jpg

Grips #3
i39.tinypic.com_f6lgm.jpg

Grips #4 (come in black or brown)
i40.tinypic.com_4lq5n7.jpg

Rob was a prankster for sure but at least he did NOT own a .44 Magnum derringer. Birds of a feather you know!

Ouch ! I bet that 44 Mag. Derringer stings !

I like the Walnut without the thumbrest.

Back
Top Bottom