• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dad's Water Damaged Colt!!!

Thanks guys! It was pretty fun watching the Colt evolve into a nice gun again.

I think it's done.

I received the grips from Eagle grips and they looked really good until I tried to put them on they were not properly inletted for a second gen Colt Woodsman. After cursing them under my breath I went ahead and inletted them myself. You would think at $100 for grips they could have done better? It was fairly easy to fix as the upper portion was inletted properly. It was the lower portion that needed attention.

UPDATE and Note: I e-mailed Eagle grips and their reply was it was their error and they incorrectly sent 3rd generation Colt Woodsman grips. It was not a big deal as I probably hand inletted tighter than at the factory. The do sell all Colt Woodsman generation grips (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen) and have different id numbers as such. IMO they are the best looking grips I found for the Colt Woodsman.

The wood to be removed.
i42.tinypic.com_20jl2d1.jpg

Pencil marks for wood removal
i43.tinypic.com_30j41hk.jpg

Relief cuts with a hack saw blade. I went slow and rechecked with magnification. Once the cuts were made I use a small safe file to smooth out the surface and correct the angles. Ever so slowly wood was removed and checked on the gun until a little daylight shone through all the way around.
i42.tinypic.com_2nib18h.jpg

Success!
i43.tinypic.com_35kobr8.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_15x23v7.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_11b4vpg.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_qzepah.jpg

There is always a bump, a hitch, a fly in the ointment. With an old gun more than I care to remember. The new magazine was not an exception. It looked good but the cut out for the magazine release was omitted. I measured it up and cut it with a file. Of course the cut notch was just low enough to prevent the round from being picked up. I gutted the new magazine and used the old magazine and it works despite the crack in the body. It looks like two welding projects currently wait.
i42.tinypic.com_2byyrt.jpg

I wonder if she shoots well?

Last edited:
I went to the range late and less than an hour to sunset. I was having a horrible time focusing on the front sight blade in the poor light and shot a few quick groups at approximately 10 yards. It sucks getting old. I was not impressed.....nor was ollie, see pic....

i41.tinypic.com_24pfbqu.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_2zhnqs2.jpg

I did bring a yard stick just in case. I brought my most accurate pistol a S&W Model 41. At ten yards I use to be able to shoot groups that a dime would cover but I had the same issue with focusing on the front sight blade and low light.

i40.tinypic.com_r1bwuv.jpg

It looks like it was all me and it's not often I am relieved that I shot poorly. I shot just as poorly with the Smith as the Colt! That's probably a good thing!

I think this little Colt will once again terrorize noisy chickens on the farm. :fear:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom