• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dad's Water Damaged Colt!!!

Looks real sharp!:thumb:got to see this one in person, very sweet..had the privilege of getting my 1911 done as well but no one gets to see her til she's 100% finished :p

WOW !

That is one Great Job !

I too have that problem with aging eyes and have difficulty picking up the front sight. I do know the frustration that sometimes leads to.

A question. Do you think that the after-market magazine can be made to work ?

It would always be nice to have a spare magazine or 3 for any semi-auto that requires a magazine to elevate it above a single-shot pistol.

Again, looking at the very "Before" pictures and then the "After" pictures, is almost mind bending.
Most people would have looked at the "Before" and said NO WAY.

Great Job !

Yes sir!

The newfangled magazine works as it is currently. I just have to push up on the magazine enough to get the slide to pick up the round. The old magazine has a bit different feeding lip profile when compared to the new one. I measured with calipers made my mark and slowly removed metal until it engaged the tooth on the magazine release. Unfortunately, my mark or cut was about a 1/2 millimeter off and allows the magazine to ride a tad too low.

:becky: UPDATE: Cheaper Than Dirt has replacement "Colt" magazines for less than $15 (1/2012) with the magazine push button release cut out. Yes it's mentioned the cut out is easy to do and it is, getting it in the correct spot however is another matter.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG159-36.html

Feed lip profiles
i43.tinypic.com_ww10nd.jpg

A bit of weld and file will allow me to raise the height a tad and it should function well. The new magazine is also a great reference for future cuts as the profile is the same and I can obtain a better measurement.

I'm thinking Wolff gun springs can copy a Woodsman magazine spring. I may have to send it in to them. If so once the old magazine body and follower are polished up a little it should run fine once the crack in the body is repaired. Once all said and done I should have three functional magazines at least. I have yet to find reasonably priced original 2nd Generation magazines for the woodsman. Gen 3 Woodsman magazines can be cut to accept the magazine release.

If I was a bit better craftsman I would have a new fully working magazine but I'm still a man cave novice stumbling around but learning as I go.

The stainless pot imparted some slight bluing discoloration (plum), which actually appeals to me as it gives it more of an aged look. However, this weekend I used an enamel pot and obtained a really nice blue on a compact Springfield 1911 for a friend. I can always reblue the Woodsman but sometimes a slight perceived flaw adds character to a gun in my opinion. Sort of like the old Ruger Super Blackhawk's plum loading gate. If anything it reminds me that I can do better and is my gauge for future projects.

Mistakes are unfortunate but necessary in any worthwhile challenge as long as I learn from them.

WOW !

That is one Great Job !

I too have that problem with aging eyes and have difficulty picking up the front sight. I do know the frustration that sometimes leads to.

A question. Do you think that the after-market magazine can be made to work ?

It would always be nice to have a spare magazine or 3 for any semi-auto that requires a magazine to elevate it above a single-shot pistol.

Again, looking at the very "Before" pictures and then the "After" pictures, is almost mind bending.
Most people would have looked at the "Before" and said NO WAY.

Great Job !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom