• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dad's Water Damaged Colt!!!

Looking great!
Did the magazine(s) turn out similar or are you just getting replacements?
No amount of effort is too much for a family heirloom.....

Looking great!
Did the magazine(s) turn out similar or are you just getting replacements?
No amount of effort is too much for a family heirloom.....

The magazine is possibly salvable. It has a hairline crack and requires a bit of fine welding. It would cost too much to send it out and I don't have a welder......yet. The spring would need to be replaced too.

Some of the other pistol springs need replaced too. I'll need to get to ordering the small parts soon enough.

Thanks for all the positive comments! I really appreciate the feedback. It makes me want to stay in the man cave until it's finished.

Last edited:
Bravo! That looks incredible compared to what you started with.

www.helifreak.com_images_smilies_clap.gif

Thanks guys! Here is an update. I sent the link in an e-mail to my Dad. This is his reply :p

Chris,

I just looked at the photos, and I am STUNNED !
It was hard to believe it was the same gun ! Please feel free to let the guys know on the Outdoor Trader site, That I AM IMPRESSED !

Oh, it was two roosters.
The first was unaware, and was an easy head shot at about 30 yards.
The "Junior Rooster" had never crowed until the more aggressive one croaked.
I had just gotten back into bed when he sounded off, but after seeing what happened to his former 'Boss', he was partially hidden behind the little chicken house, and just as I fired, he jerked his head back, and I took his beak off.
So he took two shots and about ten minutes of aggressive patience.

Dad

The magazine is possibly salvable. It has a hairline crack and requires a bit of fine welding. It would cost too much to send it out and I don't have a welder......yet. The spring would need to be replaced too.

Some of the other pistol springs need replaced too. I'll need to get to ordering the small parts soon enough.

Thanks for all the positive comments! I really appreciate the feedback. It makes me want to stay in the man cave until it's finished.
I could possibly help you out with that magazine...Unless of course you are set on doing it all yourself(which, from what I've seen, you have the talent for). The gun looks great, unbeliveable difference!

Take a look on Gun Broker for grips - theres several sets currently up for auction. I search "colt woodsman grips" and it brought up a bunch.

That backyard bluing will look great.

I know of some old time gunsmiths who would cook up a batch using a coleman stove and some kind of fertilizers. You wouldn't believe how beautiful those blue jobs looked!

Good luck-and looks like you are doing great work!

Back
Top Bottom