Crap! Damn! &$@$!!!

She's alive!!!!
I'm going to enjoy working with this one over that manual shift one. I always had to stop, wait for the pto to son down then shift. Now I can shift on the fly. :)

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_20_epa9adab.jpg

I must ask why one would need/want to shift gears on the fly with a tractor?

If you're running a bushhog or finish mower and you have to go around something or cut right up to a fence, tree, etc... I would have to stop, push in the clutch, wait for the PTO to spin down, idle the motor down then change to reverse.

If you go up to a thick patch or have to slow down a little for saplings or heavy brush that would entail doing the same above just to slow down a little. The engine has to stay at 2800 rpm for the pto to spin at the correct speed.

Now I can choose a range and go. I can slide forward up to 3 speeds or go to reverse / neutral without having to touch the clutch or pto.

Growing up on a farm in Central Il. we never had much cause to shift gears on the fly, then again everything was in squares and few if any obstructions.
Didn't think about brush mowing in the woods and such.

Glad you got it back together correctly. Like I said...it doesn't take much misalignment to bind something. I know that from reinstalling the rear end in my '69 Cutlass. Converging 4-link system has to be in just right to even get the bolts back into position.

Congrats...and enjoy!

Tanks JR. Next time I'll bump the motor over a few times as Iate everything up. Lesson learned. This is the first time I've cracked a tractor in half before. Now I've done it 3x in 24 hours :)

Not lined up the first time, it happens. For lack of a better term you "pinched" it. If you ever have to split it again get longer bolts cut the heads off and use a pilot studs to help line everything up and always pull it together evenly on all sides.

I always use the headless bolts when swapping engines or replacing a transmission

Makes it alot easier

Course. Last time I needed a clutch alignment tool the goobers at the auto parts store didn't even know what it was

Back
Top Bottom