Crap! Damn! &$@$!!!

Which clutch did you use ? The original clutch to the good engine or the bad engine ? I have been through this kinda thing several times with John Deere tractors. Usually the pto clutches being replaced. Also rebuilt the engine on a 2010 several years back.

Try looseining the bell housing bolts and just get a 1/2" gap between the engine and trans, see if it frees up.

No tractor mechanic here...but machines are very much machines.

Start looking for the differences between the two. Something has to be different between the two engines. Check the flywheels. Check the input shaft on the transmissions. Measure the interface components one by one. Either one could be the culprit. I'd bet the input might be longer or something like that. If that piece was just a little longer, it could push the crankshaft foward and bind everything up. Doesn't take much...

Best of luck...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will look at it with fresh eyes this weekend. I'm going to loosen the bolts and start there.

Looked at it this morning. The engine would not turn. I loosened the bell housing bolts and pulled the motor forward about 1/4". I bumped the starter and it spun just fine. I slowly tightened the bolts and kept bumping the starter and it kept spinning fine. Now I have it tightened all the way back up and I can turn the motor fine. The clutch has good resistance as well.

Now I need to put a bunch of other parts back on and see if she'll crank and drive.

Any idea what could cause that???

Looked at it this morning. The engine would not turn. I loosened the bell housing bolts and pulled the motor forward about 1/4". I bumped the starter and it spun just fine. I slowly tightened the bolts and kept bumping the starter and it kept spinning fine. Now I have it tightened all the way back up and I can turn the motor fine. The clutch has good resistance as well.

Now I need to put a bunch of other parts back on and see if she'll crank and drive.

Any idea what could cause that???

Not lined up the first time, it happens. For lack of a better term you "pinched" it. If you ever have to split it again get longer bolts cut the heads off and use a pilot studs to help line everything up and always pull it together evenly on all sides.

Back
Top Bottom