• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cortisone Shots In Hips?

None of them have ever lasted more than a week. The first few days can be wonderful though. Since they don’t last, i try not to get them unless it’s part of the diagnosis process.

I had a torn labrum in my hip that required surgery to repair so i went thru it all.
RT, how’d the hip labrum repair go. Would you recommend? Rehab period time? Ima candidate. Thanks

RT, how’d the hip labrum repair go. Would you recommend? Rehab period time? Ima candidate. Thanks
I won't sugar coat it, it was rough. Buddy of mine had a full hip replacement and was back moving in no time.

Hip repair is an entirely different animal and was no fun.

Pre repair I could hardly walk. Post repair, I can walk but it gets sore and painful over time. The pain is always there but it's livable.

The procedure itself was an experience. First of all, the surgery is long and really puts a lot of strain on your body. I've had many surgeries and this one was way different and much more difficult to come out of. They intentionally make you wake up without any pain relief. You are disoriented and in agonizing pain with folks gathered around you telling you to stay calm and that they will give you pain killers shortly. It was a strange experience coming to in that amount of pain and not having expected it. I might handle it better now that I know, but at the time it was unexpected and startling. Has something to do with them needing to know how everything is functioning. Not exactly sure, I just know you wake up to some serious pain. Level 10 stuff. They then check you over and then start administering morphine. You quickly go from that level 10 pain to feeling nothing at all. But that's just the beginning. The next level of hell comes right afterwards.

They then immediately send you to a session of physical therapy where you have to perform some basic tasks such as walking and going up some stairs, all while doped on morphine. I could barely move or keep my eyes open and yet they forced me thru it before they would release me. I'd say it's probably like doing a field sobriety test where you are so effed up that you can barely move or walk and yet you must pass the tests or else they won't let you leave. You have to pass it completely stoned out of your mind.

Then you go home and the real fun begins. They give you an ice machine / massager that you must be in for many hours a day to keep the area cool and to pump on your legs to avoid clots. They give you another machine that you must sleep in that keeps your leg moving constantly. You slowly increase the range of motion over a 12 week period and they want you in it for 12 hours a day, which is why it's best to try to sleep in it. But, since you are all tied up in that machine, you better have a loving wife. She is in charge of helping you urinate in a bottle since getting out of bed is way too much trouble.

Then, when you aren't in the machine you have to have your legs tied together with a big foam ball between them. That one makes you go stir crazy and makes you feel tortured because you can't move at all.

Then you also have to sleep on a "wedge" to keep your upper body elevated to ensure you don't get a blood clot to your brain.

Next up is actual physical therapy. You'll be on a walker for weeks and need help getting in and out of a vehicle and pretty much doing anything. PT is brutal and painful.

Took me about 6 months to get fully recovered with little setbacks all along the way. You'll rip scar tissue. That's fun. It'll feel like you reinjured it, so you are never quite sure if you've screwed yourself up or not.

All in all, I'd do it again if I ever got back to that point...but I'd really really really need it. I'd not do it for a little pain. The entire experience was the worst.

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries, 2 elbow surgeries, both wrist done for carpal tunnel and the hip. The Hip takes the cake. I could do all the others ALL at once and they still wouldn't come close to the pain in misery of the hip surgery. It was that bad. I **** you not.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a tough SOB or is a liar. This is one of those you would wish on an enemy...someone you really dislike.

Holy **** bro!!! I’ve done my shoulders but I guess I’m gonna wait the hip out til I’m crawling. That was quite the description. Thanks and GLWSurgerys. :sick::sick::grey:

I aprreciate the feedback. I recieved some results back from an xray (done yesterday), and from what I can read and interpret, there is some bone on bone going on. Flattening of the femoral head. Yesterday the doc said I may get a few weeks relief out of a shot.. It looks like I am on the way to having my hips replaced
Get the Hip replacement. Just had mind done last year. Limped in the hospital with a cane and walked out dancing (almost). Nothing to it, take it easy for 3 or 4 month after and your good to go.

Cortisone damages your hips and liver.

As Retired Army said you have to jump thru the hoops with insurances to get to the real problem. If your hip is not a total wreck the shots will help until you don't get anymore relief from them. At that point insurance will go ahead and say replace the hip. The same as a knee. If it's Arthritis the shot will help a lot. I have one knee that has been replaced because of bone on bone and the other with Arthritis and the shot helps it for about 3 months.

Here are X-rays before and after hip replacement, you can see why the hip was replaced.

Hip x-ray1.jpg

After

Hip x-ray.jpg

Back
Top Bottom