• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Completely Perplexed.... Question about "sniper" rifles

Well, I have a Steyr SSG-69 with original Parker Hale bipod (I put it in the safe and stuck a Harris on it). Developed and produced for the Austrian armed forces as their standard "sniper" rifle. So in this case calling it a sniper rifle would be correct. Any random heavy barreled Remington 700 on the other hand is not. Oh, and no you won't ever see my baby up for sale!

View attachment 703963
A true sniper rifle is not the rifle, but becomes one in the hands of the marksman. It is just an accurate target rifle. One of Finland's greatest snipers in the Winter War with Russian scored almost all his kills with iron sights on a Mosin.... You can build the best and most accurate rifle in the world, but unless you understand the basics of wind, drop, the many factors of ranging and leading your target it becomes just another over priced item on the ODT.. There is no such thing as a sniper rifle, just a great sniper with his rifle..:thumb:

A true sniper rifle is not the rifle, but becomes one in the hands of the marksman. It is just an accurate target rifle. One of Finland's greatest snipers in the Winter War with Russian scored almost all his kills with iron sights on a Mosin.... You can build the best and most accurate rifle in the world, but unless you understand the basics of wind, drop, the many factors of ranging and leading your target it becomes just another over priced item on the ODT.. There is no such thing as a sniper rifle, just a great sniper with his rifle..:thumb:
I see what you're saying about the man behind the rifle but there are many rifles that were designed as sniper rifles. The Barrett M98 is a very accurate rifle but not used as a target rifle.

What about 'Designated Marksman Rifles'? Is it the rifle that makes the shooter a Designated Marksman or the shooter that makes the rifle? :pop2:

If a rifle is purposely built for the use of a military (in this case) sniper for the express purpose of sniping then it is by definition a "sniper rifle." Just as a car purposely built for a race car driver for the express purpose of racing is a "race car." Just because I as a civilian own the rifle, it's history does not change. My shooting the rifle in no way makes me a sniper, it also does not stop the rifle from being a sniper rifle. Just as my driving an F1 car does not make me a race car driver, it also doesn't stop the car from being a race car. (like I have any hope of fitting my ass in an f1 car! Lol)

However, I do believe that we agree on the point of going to your local gun store and buying the heaviest barreled wizbang uber bolt Buck Rogers super rifle with the Hubble telescope mounted on top does not make it a sniper rifle. Only an accurate sporting arm. On the other hand if a nice M1 C/D were sitting on the shelf then you would have yourself a sniper rifle.....

Mounting a scope on a Higgins is a tough task, as you probably know. I have found the only ones that work well are the Leupold Rifleman split ring mounts (Item 56533, I think) for a normal scope. The high rings for this 50mm scope are a different number (I think 57323). The grooved receiver on Higgins rifles are more narrow than a standard .22 rifle and these mounts will shrink to that dimension with the bottom screw with no problems... and still not do any damage to the receiver.
Thank you!

I keep seeing listings for "sniper" rifles. My question is did a sniper build it or does a sniper own it. If not how is it a sniper rifle? If so, is the sniper self proclaimed or did he pay his dues and go through the training to earn the title.

If a true sniper doesn't own it or didn't build it, couldn't it or shouldn't it be titled an accurate rifle, precision rifle or maybe a target rifle.

My way of thinking is any rifle that is owned by a real sniper is a "sniper rifle". BB gun, lever action 22lr, single shot 44 mag, Hell the list is endless.

What's next, listing AR's as Delta rifle, Seal rifle or maybe Ranger rifle, oh damn what about a Glock as a "Gunney" pistol.

I apologize for the rant, but this kind of crap just chaps my azz.

If you like this rant, stay tuned, he obviously hasn't seen enough "custom" AR adds yet..

I see what you're saying about the man behind the rifle but there are many rifles that were designed as sniper rifles. The Barrett M98 is a very accurate rifle but not used as a target rifle.

What about 'Designated Marksman Rifles'? Is it the rifle that makes the shooter a Designated Marksman or the shooter that makes the rifle? :pop2:
The shooter makes the rifle, if a Finn can rack up several hundred Russians with iron sights and Alvin York can clear a hill of Germans with a bolt action 5 shot, what do you think?

saw an army private with " honor guard "tattooed on his arm. he didn't make sniper school but certainly was tacticool!!!!! everyone's a badass expert! if cait jenners a woman then you can be a sniper.

Back
Top Bottom