• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Completely Perplexed.... Question about "sniper" rifles

Just like in a Drag race, 75% of the race is the driver. No matter how much HP, torque and aerodynamics that car has, if the driver can't handle it, that car is gonna lose.

Same with a "sniper" rifle. No matter what sights, load, barrel, or other modifications any given rifle has. No matter how accurate it is, if the shooter can't handle it, that gun ain't gonna hit the target at 100 feet, let alone 500 meters..

If a true sniper doesn't own it or didn't build it, couldn't it or shouldn't it be titled an accurate rifle, precision rifle or maybe a target rifle.

Do you even Google bro?

"In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a man-portable, high precision, shoulder-fired rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms."

Lighten up, Francis. Someone calling a rifle a "Sniper Rifle" is no different than calling another rifle a "Deer Rifle". It's just a slang term that indicates the general configuration and what it could be appropriately used for. Yes, the more correct term would probably be "Precision Tactical Rifle" or something close to that, but what real difference does it make?

A Guy brought his 7mm Mauser "Sniper Rifle" for me to sight in" ( I don't think he's a member on here cause this could be an embarrassment to him) last year , I laser bore sighted, then took it out to my range and fine tweaked it.. He picked it up and I told him no charge, just enjoy shooting. About a week later, he came back and told me something was wrong, he couldn't even hit a target at 25m, it must be off, the weapon was junk and he wanted to sell it also. I took him outside and set up a target and told him to show me..Sure enough, his rounds were all over the range, not even close to the target. I told him to give the rifle to me, I sat down, laid the barrel on my sandbag rest, took a breath, looked thru the scope and gently squeeze and at 100m dead center in the red dot.. he stared and told me Lucky shot, I ran the other 4 rounds thru in almost the same hole,. His face was bright red. I told him, you're jerking the trigger, you're not holding the stock tight enough against your shoulder and you're breathing like you just ran five miles.... To become the Sniper, you must become one with your Weapon, young Jedi LOL...:thumb:

Do you even Google bro?

"In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a man-portable, high precision, shoulder-fired rifle used to ensure more accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than other small arms."
Well OK then that's that. Because Google says it, it is the law written in stone!!

Back
Top Bottom