• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Completely Perplexed.... Question about "sniper" rifles

Most of the deer hunting we do now days is nothing more than a planned ambush of our prey.
IE: Sniping.
Darn near any modern centerfire rifle is easily capable of the task of sniping.
If the prey makes a difference to you look back to 2002 at the dumbasses labeled by the media as the "beltway snipers". One of em was a 17 year old misguided punk with nothing more than stupidity for a superpower and a stolen AR.
If you're willing to believe the hype that some how a military or law enforcement designation makes one rifle a "sniper rifle" while overlooking the millions of bolt actions in civilian hands capable of the same distance and accuracy, then in my opinion you may be a misguided gun snob.

cdn.cz_usa.com_hammer_wp_content_uploads_2014_04_cz_usa_cz_750_sniper_500x333.png
I

I own one of these . It says snipe hunter right in the name http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-750-sniper-308-win-10-rd-detach-mag/

A true sniper rifle is not the rifle, but becomes one in the hands of the marksman. It is just an accurate target rifle. One of Finland's greatest snipers in the Winter War with Russian scored almost all his kills with iron sights on a Mosin.... You can build the best and most accurate rifle in the world, but unless you understand the basics of wind, drop, the many factors of ranging and leading your target it becomes just another over priced item on the ODT.. There is no such thing as a sniper rifle, just a great sniper with his rifle..:thumb:
Don't **** With The Fins.

They still talk about that.

A true sniper rifle is not the rifle, but becomes one in the hands of the marksman. It is just an accurate target rifle. One of Finland's greatest snipers in the Winter War with Russian scored almost all his kills with iron sights on a Mosin.... You can build the best and most accurate rifle in the world, but unless you understand the basics of wind, drop, the many factors of ranging and leading your target it becomes just another over priced item on the ODT.. There is no such thing as a sniper rifle, just a great sniper with his rifle..:thumb:

BINGO....you sir rung the bell. Nailed it.

I went to a match shoot about 20years ago with a Buddy of mine named Tony Hargess.. People showed up with all types of weapons, Nation Match M1A!'s, High dollar tricked our AR's etc. Tony had one of the Chinese Early model Heavy Barrel RPKs. He had swapped out the sights for Russian adjustable RPK sights and hand loaded his ammo. They were shooting at Targets at 500m.. I was spotting for Tony. Gun snobs were laughing as he took his position on line.. Tony ran the field that day and was top shooter.. I got to admit, I was impressed. I knew he was a good shot, but damn.. when we were loading up for the run home, a lot of people were asking questions about his weapon, I haven't seen Tony in about 5 years and I hope he hasn't sold his Baby, but the man knew how to shoot..

Back
Top Bottom