• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Coin collecting

I have in the past, but I got burned out on it.

I finally realized that it is a HOBBY, not an INVESTMENT unless you collect slabbed and graded Silver or Gold coins.

Putting pocket change in a blue book is cool, but once you fill in all of the easy to find coins, you have to spend a lot to fill in the rest.

I also collected proof sets and mint sets along with state quarters and Presidential dollars.

I had it all stashed away in a safe place, so I never got to look at it.

My advice would be to decide which you want: an INVESTMENT, or a HOBBY. If investment, buy only graded rare coins because circulated coins will rarely be worth more than face value.

Good Luck...

I have been coin collecting for almost 20 years. To some it is a hobby, and to others it is a way to invest. I do know that it can get very expensive....Ray

I used to be big into it and have pondered getting back. I'd probably just go gold and silver if I do. At the same time I kinda want to spend my money on toys as I'm not sure how much of a quality investment coins are. It seems to take a lot of effort and I haven't seen much of a reward yet. I know...I'm rambling...a sign that I have no clue what I want to do with my current collection and what's next.

My wife doesn't look at it from a money making thing. She just enjoys seeing and having different coins. She has a pretty vast collection of proof sets and mint sets. Lately she has been trying to get commemorative coins. She also inherited a lot from her grandfather who got her started. She also picked up quite a few along the way while working at a bank. For her it is a hobby.

Back
Top Bottom